Main Menu

Gearvendors install completed.....

Started by Mickm, February 09, 2018, 07:22:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mickm

I have completed the install of the Gearvendors under/overdrive unit in the TINFISH.

It wasn't really difficult to install. I say that because I have a four post lift, if I had been putting it in on floor jacks, it would have been a lot harder.

I was concerned that with a 3:23 rear gear I may realize the engines falling on it's face at highway speed when trying to pass.

I am not a tire burner or racer so my car will really only use the GV unit when making road trips to car shows. What I am after is not hearing the motor scream at 75 mph for hours, better gas mileage and less wear and tear on the motor and trans.

I was really impressed while driving home from the muffler shop on the interstate for the first time. I was running 75 mph and the tack was reading 2900 rpm's.
I pushed the on/off button, I installed in my AutoGrip Pistol grip shifter, and the rpm's instantly fell to 2000 rpm and the engine noise was less than I could believe.

Next was the passing test. GV says when you want to pass, mash the accelerator all the way to the floor and it will downshift on it's own. Does it ever! It took off like a scalded dog and just kept wanting to go faster.

I haven't bought gas yet but am interested in seeing what additional gas mileage I get.

I have only driven it about 30 miles but to this point, I am extremely impressed and glad I invested the money to get it.

I wanted to share my experience thus far and was wondering if anyone else had any input from their experiences with their Gearvendors.

Cheers!
Mickm

GoodysGotaCuda

Nice! OD is a wonderful thing. 2,000rpm at 75mph sounds a little low for me, nice to hear it doesn't resonate much. I wouldn't mind dropping my 3.91 axle ratio down a tad, i'm running about 1900 at 65mph right now with the 6spd [close ratio box].
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Spikedog08

Did you do the work yourself?  I am interested in possibly investing in a unit  . . .  :thinking:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

gumby

Bought one years ago for a 727. Haven't installed it. Things change. project changes.

Called them today to see if I could swap stuff out for a 904 if needed. $750 bux, if you need to go this route.
Plus a core charge on the 727 tailpipe of $250. My immediate thinking was keep the 727 tailpipe, and avoid the $750 bux swap out
the second time, if you want to swap in a (whatever) 727/904 in the future. Basically, for $250, you can have both options available.
(you have to pay the $750 option initially) But why pay the $750 option twice? if you want to change trans or cars? is what I'm getting at. 

Doesn't make sense to send in your old unit, for a $250 bux rebate - and then later - if you want to use it with a 727, pay another $750 swap out?

$750 vs $250? You decide. Just seemed weird to me?

dodj

Just my opinion,  but i wouldn't invest $ in a 904 gumby. What made you want to go from a 727 to a 904?
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

dodj

Nice Mickm, no clearance issues?
Been thinking about a gv unit for sometime in the future.  For longer road trips
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

gumby

Quote from: dodj on February 10, 2018, 03:18:30 AM
Just my opinion,  but i wouldn't invest $ in a 904 gumby. What made you want to go from a 727 to a 904?

Don't know what's in my car? Motor replaced with a 360. OK. I know what the motor is. It's FREEZING cold out, and I don't know what trans I have?
I'm not going to look until it warms up. Don't know if it's a 727 or 904.
I'm hoping that it's a small block 727. I'm just trying to cover my bases. Don't want to spend any more than I have to to swap to a HellCat.

Got a bunch of parts, but looks like I need a bunch more. It can get pricey in a hurry. I don't want to have to swap trans. Trying to research every
angle so that I don't get bamboozled. LOT'S of ancilleraries, lol. Holy crap, I never could have imagined. Not a simple swap out.

gumby

I'm kinda starting to panic at how fast stuff can add up? lol.

Mickm

GoodysGotaCuda- I think I may have miss spoke, I think it was 2100 but that is still low. There seems to be no resonation, vibrations or anything I have noticed yet.

Spikedog08- Yes, I did everything my self except shortening the drive shaft and rebuilding the exhaust. IF you would like I will be glad to go over the install with you. It would/could be helpful.

dodj-The closest car show I go to is a hours drive away and all the big  shows are several hours. I want to be able to drive to these shows and not hear the motor screaming and the gas gauge falling like a rock.  I think I should add here that I did not engineering work for a friends company and instead of taking pay, they bought me the GV unit. This  made it a very easy choice but now that I have it, I would personally drop the dime to get one.
There are some minor clearance issues from the GV unit's stud bosses and the trans tunnel. This was the most time consuming part as you have to mount the unit, then remove it and massage the two areas with a ball peen hammer. It required installing and removing the rear unit several times until I gained the clearance I was happy with.

I will say I called and talked to Mike at GV a couple times with questions I had from reading the book that comes with the unit. He was more than helpful and seems very eager for me to be satisfied with everything. I found the speedo cable they sent was smashed where the attachment collar was oval. Mike put one in the mail to me the very next day. There customer service was excellent, I think their product is excellently engineer and built and I am very pleased with every aspect of the install. Especially the part where it's done. lol

Cheers!
Mickm

303 Mopar

Quote from: gumby on February 10, 2018, 04:22:21 AM
I'm not going to look until it warms up. Don't know if it's a 727 or 904.
I'm hoping that it's a small block 727. I'm just trying to cover my bases. Don't want to spend any more than I have to to swap to a HellCat.

A 904 will never hold up to a Hellcrate engine, so if this engine is your ultimate goal you will need a 727.  Before you buy anything, I would recommend finding out what you have first, and get a plan in place.  Then stay on that path and only buy parts you need.

7212Mopar

I was looking at the GV site awhile back. I never quite fully understand how the gear shifting work. Do you need a manual valve body to work? They say you need to turn it on and off at certain speed or it will be damaged.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Mickm

7212Mopar"Do you need a manual valve body to work-" I never read anything about needing anything other than the 727 trans.
As for the shifting and you causing damage. The unit can be run in either manual or automatic mode. You change via a switch under the carpet or wherever you decide to place it. In manual the only warning they give it you must turn off the unit when you get to 25 mph. Otherwise eventual damage could happen.
In automatic mode, you simply turn the unit on, leave it on and it turns it self on at 47 miles an hour and off at 25 mph as you slow down.
In the manual they say you can try anything without fear of damage so long as you turn it off in manual at 25 mph.

I turned mine on at 75 and it kicked in perfectly and the rpm's fell like a rock.

I'm a retired engineer and personally I am very impressed with the design and function of this unit. The only bad side, in my opinion, is the initial cash outlay.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!
Mickm

Chryco Psycho

It is a great unit & works very well , I assume you could add it to a 518 & create some crazy ratios with double OD

Marc70challenger

GV is awesome. Was flawless during Drag Week.  Two things I learned: don't over-tighten the bottom pan cover (the small, flat square cover on bottom) over 10 ft-lbs. I cracked ours.  It didn't leak a lot - just wept. The owner of GV was at Drag Week and got us an extra. He said that happens to people. Don't over tighten it.  :P

I'd change the fluid every 1,000 miles. It doesn't take a lot - I think ours is less than quart. Less fluid - less material to dissipate heat, etc. I've seen in documentation to change it at 5k and 1k.  Rather be safe.

We just hooked it up without the control unit. Only use it as a 4th gear/ street OD.  But the functionality options are great with the control unit. Like you said the passing functions. Also - the launch mode - have you tried that.

:banana:

Marc70challenger

Quote from: gumby on February 10, 2018, 04:29:09 AM
I'm kinda starting to panic at how fast stuff can add up? lol.

:D. No kidding.  I've learned: take your initial budget and at least double it. Then add up to 15% for the Mopar tax if your trying to keep it within the family lol.   Then take your timeline and double as well.

Good luck with it. In the end it's always worth it.  :burnout: