Main Menu

Green bearing install question - does this look right ?

Started by kmiller, August 23, 2020, 03:27:07 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kmiller

Just finished installing a set of green bearings that I got from Dr Dif but the axles look to far out now
I don't have any drums to see if they fit or not , does this look right ? I pressed the bearing as far as it would go

kmiller

JonH

No...the bearing retainer plate goes on first, on the outside of the bearing...looks to me like you have it on wrong...

kmiller

Aaahh. I thought that didn't seem right

Thanks I'll tear back apart

anlauto

Did you have a reputable shop install the bearings ? In my opinion, they are not pressed on at all. They should ride on the surface I circled. :dunno:

However, if they say that's as far as they will go on, then it's either the wrong bearings (hard to believe) or then left part of the old bearing on the axle (harder to believe)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kmiller

That's what I thought that they should have been pressed a lot closer to the axle end.

I'll have to get them to look at it again

JonH

So is the circled part the seal surface or the bearing? If it is the seal surface then the bearing is not on far enough, or the lock collar was put on first...Either way it is not correct.

kmiller

Okay I pulled it all apart and tried to press the bearing on further and this is as far as I can get
(My press is a 12 ton and this is all i can get)
It still looks to far away

anlauto

yea...it's looking better...pressing them on dry metal to metal like that is tough...a little grease goes a long way :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

kmiller

How close should that lock collar be to the bearing ?

Mopar5

Just my 2 cents but most bearings should seat under 5 tons if you have to go above that pressure then  something is not right