Main Menu

Harmonic balancer suggestion for a 340 steel crank motor

Started by soccernut43, August 15, 2020, 07:36:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soccernut43

Any suggestions for a harmonic balancer for a steel cranked 340?  Motor used to be balanced internally for racing purposes but putting it back on the street as a cruiser.  Just reusing internals like pistons, rods, and steel crank.  Thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

I know there are steel balancers available aftermarket , Pioneer or Proform some are SFI spec & generally around $100

soccernut43

I saw some of those but then learned that cast crank harmonic balancers are different then steel crank balancers.  And with the engine no longer being raced and internally balanced I can't use the old balancer.  So that opened up a whole other can of worms for me as to which one was best for my application.  Thank goodness for this forum lol.

Chryco Psycho

Getting a balancer for an internally balanced engine is far easier then trying to get one for external balanced engines .

autoxcuda

Quote from: soccernut43 on August 15, 2020, 08:14:42 AM
I saw some of those but then learned that cast crank harmonic balancers are different then steel crank balancers.  And with the engine no longer being raced and internally balanced I can't use the old balancer.  So that opened up a whole other can of worms for me as to which one was best for my application.  Thank goodness for this forum lol.

Did it get rebuilt with different rotating assembly?  The balance job needs to happen before you assemble the internals

What does not being raced have to do with the balance of the rotating assembly?
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

soccernut43

All the same components from 36 years ago as far as pistons, crank, and connecting rods.  Changed the rod bolts to ARP bolts and had the rods trued up.  I didn't have it balanced as I was just going to put it back on the street.  Not sure I can trust the balanced harmonic balancer.  Was going to play it safe and get an externally balanced balancer or one that was similar to stock.  Guy that did the machining agreed.

Chryco Psycho

If it is a steel crank 340 it should use a neutral balance damper not external

Fastmark

I think you are over thinking this. A 340 is either internally balanced or externally balanced. All steel cranks are balanced internally so the balancer will be just neutral balancer. If you feel like you need to change the balancer for some reason, just get another neutral balancer and be done with it.

soccernut43

I probably am over thinking it but I can't help thinking the original balancer was matched to the original rotating assembly. Now that rod bolts have been replaced I can't help think that the rotating assembly won't match the balancer now. 

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

soccernut43

Even if the rotating assembly changed rotating weight wise?

jimynick

Quote from: soccernut43 on August 16, 2020, 04:36:50 PM
If, as you've mentioned several times, it's a street car, the minute difference in weight between oem and arp rod bolts is the least of your worries. An external balancer has a pretty good sized weight offset and putting one on your internally balanced setup would not make you or the engine happy. In the spirit of the K.I.S.S. principle, get a stock steel crank a/m or oem balancer and have done with it. As always, just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

JonH

Quote from: jimynick on August 16, 2020, 06:37:45 PM
Quote from: soccernut43 on August 16, 2020, 04:36:50 PM
If, as you've mentioned several times, it's a street car, the minute difference in weight between oem and arp rod bolts is the least of your worries. An external balancer has a pretty good sized weight offset and putting one on your internally balanced setup would not make you or the engine happy. In the spirit of the K.I.S.S. principle, get a stock steel crank a/m or oem balancer and have done with it. As always, just my  :alan2cents:

x2....what he said

soccernut43

Think you've solved it for me.  I'm going to use the balancer that was used when the engine was originally balanced. The only thing that changed from that whole rotating assembly is the rod bolts and rings.

Thanks as always guys.

jimynick

In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"