Main Menu

Harmonic Damper for 340

Started by Yellow71Cuda, June 07, 2017, 03:51:10 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Yellow71Cuda

Never ending.  I suppose a 47 year old engine needs "stuff".  :headbang:

Rebuild or buy new?  Rubber is all dry-rotted.  Thoughts?

Cuda Cody

I've used old balancers in the past, but lately I just don't risk it and buy a new one.  You don't want it coming apart after you spend all the time to restore the car and engine.  Unless you're doing OEM judging, I would get a new one and paint it orange with the engine.  Then drive the wheels off it.   :burnout:

RUNCHARGER

There are business that rebuild dampeners, if you want to keep the original.
Sheldon

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 07, 2017, 04:37:43 PM
There are business that rebuild dampeners, if you want to keep the original.

I'm going to get an estimate tomorrow for exactly that.  Then weigh the difference between that cost, and just buying new.

RUNCHARGER

Would you mind letting us know the cost? I've wondered about it but never called for a quote. I suspect a Hemi damper is probably worth getting done but a wedge isn't. I really worry about using cheap dampers though. I used one on my 472 Hemi and it seemed to be okay for 10 years though.
Sheldon

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 07, 2017, 11:09:55 PM
Would you mind letting us know the cost? I've wondered about it but never called for a quote. I suspect a Hemi damper is probably worth getting done but a wedge isn't. I really worry about using cheap dampers though. I used one on my 472 Hemi and it seemed to be okay for 10 years though.

I will absolutely let everyone know.   :)

Shane Kelley

If factory appearance is not a issue I have had great luck with these. Under 150 bucks and SFI approved. Everything bolts right up and pulleys are still aligned. I install timing tape so I know TDC is spot on.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-c4277/overview/make/plymouth

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: Shane Kelley on June 08, 2017, 09:23:56 AM
If factory appearance is not a issue I have had great luck with these. Under 150 bucks and SFI approved. Everything bolts right up and pulleys are still aligned. I install timing tape so I know TDC is spot on.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-c4277/overview/make/plymouth

Thank you!  I'm going with the stock look, so I'll wait to see how much it costs to rebuild my original.  I should know more tomorrow.

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: Yellow71Cuda on June 08, 2017, 07:12:14 AM

$95.00 plus shipping to rebuild mine.   :takemymoney:

I'll post pics once I get it back!

RUNCHARGER

Deal! I would do that before buying another cheap balancer. I like saving factory parts and they last longer and look right.

Thanks!
Sheldon

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 14, 2017, 05:03:45 PM
Deal! I would do that before buying another cheap balancer. I like saving factory parts and they last longer and look right.

Thanks!

:handshake: You're welcome.  I agree.

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: Yellow71Cuda on June 14, 2017, 03:19:18 PM
Quote from: Yellow71Cuda on June 08, 2017, 07:12:14 AM

$95.00 plus shipping to rebuild mine.   :takemymoney:

I'll post pics once I get it back!

Looks good.  Came back with black paint, I will of course be painting it orange.

RUNCHARGER

Nice: Make sure the TDC line is in the right place.
Sheldon

Yellow71Cuda

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 19, 2017, 06:27:22 PM
Nice: Make sure the TDC line is in the right place.

Great point!   :thankyou: