Main Menu

Hellcrate engine and modern interior for my 1970 Challenger

Started by Moparkin, August 07, 2019, 11:43:38 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Moparkin

My beautiful wife has agreed for me to transform my 1970 challenger to a Hellcrate engine and interior to a later edition. I am getting closer to the end of removing rusty old metal. I am now in the phase of installing new metal. Finally, no rust any place in the car. So, I am now in the planning stage of up grading the 440 to a Hellcrate engine and the interior to a late model Challenger. I am looking for any advice from any one with this experience or knowledge. :thinking:
Thanks in advance,
Mark

303 Mopar

Call @MoparDave at Roseville to order all parts including the engine if you are going new.

soundcontrol

Very cool, make sure to start a thread on the build here and take lots of pictures. I'm putting a 6.1 in mine, a Hellcrate will be ordered when I win the lottery!  :D

Cudajason

wow, very cool...have you given any thought to reinforcing the body and all the drive train improvements required so the engine will not kill everything else?

The interior will be tricky, that will need a lot of custom fitting.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

MoparDave

Quote from: Moparkin on August 07, 2019, 11:43:38 AM
My beautiful wife has agreed for me to transform my 1970 challenger to a Hellcrate engine and interior to a later edition. I am getting closer to the end of removing rusty old metal. I am now in the phase of installing new metal. Finally, no rust any place in the car. So, I am now in the planning stage of up grading the 440 to a Hellcrate engine and the interior to a late model Challenger. I am looking for any advice from any one with this experience or knowledge. :thinking:
Thanks in advance,
Mark

Mark, very cool. thanks @303 Mopar . I have pretty much all of the Hellcat crate engine with necessary secondary cooling parts and sub components in stock, I can also assist with auto or manual trans Kit options, suspension options. long or shorty  TTI headers, Radiator, efi tanks. If you would like to chat about what all it will take. feel free to call me direct office 586-859-2575
Please Email me at david.radcliffe@golling.com or through the the website. https://www.rosevillemoparts.com/contact-us/

CudaMoparRay

Great modernizing upgrade project  :twothumbsup: will also keep an eye on it for reference  :bigthumb:

ragtopdodge

Cool engine choice!

Me?  I wouldn't put a "modern" interior in.  A lot of work for something that will look dated in a few years.

Get some recaros and recover in OEM materials.  Get some Dakota DIgital cluster in a Rallye housing.  Put in a 3-speaker, AC dashpad in.  Get some Metro door panels for power windows and stick an electric-life setup in there with OEM Mopar switches.

CHeaper, and more classic looking.  Someday, you'll want to sell your car, and hard to sell when the interior has been customized to an old "modern" interior.

Timbbuc2

Kudos to you, if I ever do another car I want to do the same and a modern interior. Look forward to seeing your progress.
Get in, I'll drive

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: ragtopdodge on August 07, 2019, 02:25:19 PM

CHeaper, and more classic looking.  Someday, you'll want to sell your car, and hard to sell when the interior has been customized to an old "modern" interior.

Not that he asked, but I agree. Interior builds are a very touchy subject, but build it as you please! Good luck, the new engines are fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Moparkin

BIGSHCLUNK

Just to play devil's advocate... will late model seats be low enough... ?  :notsure:

Moparkin

Thanks Sound Control, Unfortunately I have not the lottery but I keep trying. I sold my F-150 and most of my toys to afford this project. The wife recognized I was serous when I started driving the family spare Honda Mini-van.

Moparkin

Thanks Cuda Jason, I will be considering extra up grades to meet the demand of the Hellcrate engine. I already have the frame rails extended. Please list any items you may think I need to consider.

jimynick

The first things that come to mind would be the USCartools stiffening kit with front aprons and rad support reinforcements, torque boxes and subframe connectors. If you put all that in you should be good to go I would think.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Moparkin

Thanks Mopar Dave, if it okay? I will give you a call next week. I am looking for Hellcrate engine, the plug and play wiring harness, and all of the pulleys attached. Also, I may need a new K frame for the Hellocrate. I am looking to minimize space under the hood for AC, headers and electric steering.
Thanks Again,
Mark