Main Menu

Help, I need a torque strap

Started by nsmall, September 17, 2018, 10:59:23 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

I currently have my hood off my car and my little mighty 340 needs a torque strap.  The driver side "lifts" a lot.  Does anyone have any pics or ideas for me?

Where can I buy the materials to make one?

I know nothing about this topic.  I would rather do it myself vs hiring someone. 

Here is a video I made today.  Its even worse when I really get on the throttle...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqFpgM7dw_g

Thanks in advance

Katfish

I had same problem, Schumacher makes a nice part that bolts right in and is hardly noticeable.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/ProductsType/TorqueStraps.html

dodj

You can just bridge the rubber isolator of the motor mount with a metal strap which is probably the least noticeable and pretty cheap. You can buy a pre-engineered one like Rod showed you or you can buy different motor mounts that interlock both halves of the mount. Like the ones schumacher makes or mag mounts. I used mag mounts on my car.
http://www.manciniracing.com/maheduenmo.html
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Chryco Psycho

I have seen the Schumaker ones fail on big blocks

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: dodj on September 18, 2018, 03:51:46 AM
You can just bridge the rubber isolator of the motor mount with a metal strap which is probably the least noticeable and pretty cheap.

This is what I usually do , just add a steel strap to bridge the isolator , cheap effective & unnoticable

Burdar

I've also seen people drill through the mount and put a bolt through it.  That bolt will limit the travel.  I've got a torque strap on my K. 

1 Wild R/T

And the real old school method is a piece of chain......

72bluNblu

Dang is that with a new engine mount?

I have one of the Schumacher torque straps on my 340. They also used to make a "poly lock" engine mount, polyurethane mount with interlocking metal plates inside. You still get some cushioning from engine vibration, but if the poly fails the mount doesn't come apart and I would imagine it would also limit the travel when everything was together too.

I saw an engine mount fail in an old power wagon once, we were snow plowing and all of a sudden the shifter started torquing over. Raised the hood and stepped on the gas, I though that old 318 was gonna climb right out of the engine compartment!

nsmall

I'm not sure if it's new but it looked like it was in good condition when I restored the part.

If anyone has more pictures I would appreciate it just so I have an idea what I'm doing.

Thanks everyone

Jbaker

Wanted! Looking for a Schumacher engine torque strap e-body.

PatO

I started looking for a Schumacher torque strap around this time last year.  Seems like they are always out of stock. Just checked their site again, still out of stock.

I went with a piece of chain.  I like it and I think I'll just leave that way.  :D

YellowThumper

Looking at the Schumacher setup. It appears to be simple in nature. Clevis eye, threaded shaft, threaded rod and some sway bar bushings and a strap that spans already existing holes in the K frame. Pieces can be purchased with a little fabricating of lower strap.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

71-440

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on September 18, 2018, 07:48:35 AM
And the real old school method is a piece of chain......

Did that to my 65 GTO with a 427 4 banger. It worked!
Joe