Main Menu

help looking at a 1972 340

Started by Jocigar, January 16, 2020, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Jocigar

Hi All,

I found a complete 340 from 1972, 'running when pulled'. 

Its two hours away and sitting on a tire.

@ $1k thinking of picking it up for future use in something, the dart or maybe a cuda.

With limited access, what would you look for?  guess I should get a HF compression tester, no way of knowing if cracked block I would think.   what heads should be on it?

My first cuda had a 340; 1973 w/ 4spd... that thing ripped up the road as I recall :)

thanks !

Crocha617

Where are you located? I have a running 72 340 Engine sitting on a tire in my garage that I don't need also.

gzig5

I don't think you can compression check without a starter connected to the flywheel to cranks it over 5-6 revs.  Doubtful if it is sitting on a tire.  I would ask them to remove the intake and pull the heads so the cylinders can be looked at.  Sometimes the wrist pin can move and score/ruin a cylinder to where it needs a sleeve and you want to avoid that.  Maybe pull the pan and look at a couple main bearings, but heads off would be my first choice.

7212Mopar

Running when pulled but when was it pulled? Does it rotate smoothly? creamy oil? check spark plugs etc. get a boroscope video cam inside via the spark plug holes. Has it been rebuild? It is going to be a gamble. I think easier to buy a bare block.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Jocigar

Quote from: Crocha617 on January 16, 2020, 12:26:19 PM
Where are you located? I have a running 72 340 Engine sitting on a tire in my garage that I don't need also.

Facebook marketplace, :huh: Close to UCONN in CT

RUNCHARGER

Tough call: $1k is pretty much either hear it run or measure bore and crankshaft and have it crack checked territory. Honestly 340's are a great little engine but everybody builds strokers if they want something to haul the mail these days and you can build a stroker with a $100 360 block. 72, 340 heads aren't the way to cook these days either. It would be different if you had a 72, 340 body and wanted the correct engine for it.
Sheldon

Jocigar

Thanks Runcharger,  I was just tossing around the idea because most 340s are in pieces and seem hard to find.

My daughters 67 dart would do fine with a 318 and mild cam when we up-grade the slant 6.

I have a 71 G code barracuda a longgggg way from being restored that would do nicely with a 340 ..eventually,  but then again I already have late 60s 383 and 440 motors sitting around to rebuild.    :dunno:    :bricks: