Main Menu

Progress! - New Cam

Started by Cudajason, August 31, 2018, 10:14:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dodj

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 01, 2018, 09:45:47 PM
Definatley need matching / new springs with the cam
Lunati sells spring kits to go with their cams. That's what I did. Reasonably priced I thought.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 01, 2018, 12:16:55 AM
No my home country is Panama
I would run the 702 Lunati Voodoo https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/lun-10200702lk
Less duration & overlap , more lift so you gain on both sides

Hey @Chryco Psycho, that cam seems to be a small change to what I have now...or at least what edelbrock hsyas I have. 

Duration at 050 inch Lift:
220 int./226 exh.    versus  222 int / 232 exh

Will that small change make that big of a difference?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Chryco Psycho

you need to compare both duration @ .050 & advertised lift ,
The VooDoo has much less duration advertised while it has similar specs @ .050 meaning the valve opens much faster + you get more lift at the same duration so lift is basically free & allows more airflow

Cudajason

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 20, 2018, 09:09:07 PM
you need to compare both duration @ .050 & advertised lift ,
The VooDoo has much less duration advertised while it has similar specs @ .050 meaning the valve opens much faster + you get more lift at the same duration so lift is basically free & allows more airflow

Thanks man...learn something new every day!!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on September 02, 2018, 05:26:13 PM
Lunati sells spring kits to go with their cams. That's what I did. Reasonably priced I thought.

well guys, I think I am going to pull the trigger on this very soon...If I get the Lunati springs...should I get the kits with retainers and locks, or just reuse my stuff.

RIght now the plan is to buy:

new cam and lifters
new timing gears
full engine gasket set including valve seals.
new valve springs.

Any thing else I need to by to replace the valve springs?

jason

Brads70

Quote from: Cudajason on September 23, 2018, 10:40:31 AM
Quote from: dodj on September 02, 2018, 05:26:13 PM

well guys, I think I am going to pull the trigger on this very soon...If I get the Lunati springs...should I get the kits with retainers and locks, or just reuse my stuff.

RIght now the plan is to buy:

new cam and lifters
new timing gears
full engine gasket set including valve seals.
new valve springs.

Any thing else I need to by to replace the valve springs?

jason

I'd get the retainers locks kit, one stop shopping and that makes sure it all fits and works together.  :alan2cents:

Chryco Psycho

Cudajason

Ok Guys,  I finally puled trigger on this. 

If you are interested in the story behind this swap, check out my somewhat related posts:

https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/running-hot/8172/

https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/running-hot/8172/

I ended up going with the Lunati Voodoo 702 Cam.  When I called Lunati, the tech guy mentioned if you put K after the part number instead of the LK for lifter kit (which is just the cam and lifters) you get a KIT (that what the K stands for!!! :P ) that includes:

cam
lifters
valve springs
locks
retainers
timing set

So basically a nice matched kit. 

I also ordered a cam degree kit, and will degree in this cam and proably degree my old cam just to see what it actualy is.

I also ordered the required gaskets for the cam change and a carb rebuild kit.  I figure while its off, I should rebuild it as its starting to show its age.  I am also going to convert my 4160 carb that uses a plate on the secondaries to a 4150 style that uses the traditionalnl jets in the secondaries.

So basically a bunch of projects for the winter. Hopefully it does not get too cold this winter!

if you need me I'll be.... :wrenching:

Jason

Chryco Psycho

We are here if you need help , some closer than others of course !!

blown motor

Cool stuff @Cudajason Keep us posted. I'll have to stop by for a visit sometime when you're working on it.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

kawahonda

How does that Voodoo cam compared to this hughes cam?

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=2832&submit=Go&partid=30242

Basically I said "look stock as much as possible", hit the 13s, 3.73 gears, and be very streetable and that what was recommended to me.

I also said I wouldn't mind more choppy lope, but nothing drastic.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

bentpshrods

I put in a new lunati 704 cam in my 340 this summer. Got the complete kit. Had to have the heads machined to fit the dual springs tho.  I was on a deadline to try and get it done by my birthday (mid July). I took a Friday off of work so I could do a three day thrash and finish it up. The Thursday before this the machine shop called and said he had a small problem.  There are 32---4 groove valve keepers/locks in the kit. My bag had 31 --4 groove and ONE  2 groove lock in it. The retainers are at 10* , he had 6* and 8* 4 grooves, but no 10's.  Lunati sent me the right one but it sure set me back on my deadline with other mishaps.    :bricks:  Just something to check. I like a nice lopey idle and this cam sounds nice, I like it.       

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: kawahonda on November 30, 2018, 12:52:15 PM
How does that Voodoo cam compared to this hughes cam?

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/products.php?browse=search&search=2832&submit=Go&partid=30242

Basically I said "look stock as much as possible", hit the 13s, 3.73 gears, and be very streetable and that what was recommended to me.

I also said I wouldn't mind more choppy lope, but nothing drastic.

The Hughes cams are well designed as well , May be ground by Engle but I doubt it , dealing with Hughes can be more challenging tho

kawahonda

Chryco, what do you think about that specific cam grind? It seems like it "might" be getting into the aggressive territory. Any drawbacks/cons that you can think about vs the voodoo cam, which seems more tame?

I like the sound description of it: "Sound: You'll definitely know it's not stock". Ha. Do you think it has a radical lope, or just a little choppy?

I'm seriously at a huge loss when it comes to cams and don't know what's better/good. All I know is that most aftermarket cams will kill the stock 340 cam. That Hughes cam seems like it has higher numbers than that voodoo cam, but that's all I can say/know. I know how a camshaft works, but I don't have applied knowledge when it comes to lift, duration, etc.

With gearing, I could play with calculators/RPM/Speed and get a good idea on what gears work for me. Took a couple months to really "be sure" (3.73 is what I finally settled on with a 727), but with cams, it's all math I don't understand.

Come next winter, I'm doing a full rebuild, so I'll need to settle in on a cam and whether or not I use my stock intake or go with the RPM air gap. Determine if my torque converter needs an improvement, etc. All other decisions are pretty straight forward...

My goal upon opening the hood when all said and done is for even a purist to go "well, that's a fairly stock-looking engine!"

Didn't mean to hijack, just wanted your opinion on that cam grind compared to the voodoo cam that you like.

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Chryco Psycho

The cam should work very well , the duration is not excessive just watch piston to valve clearance it will have a noticable idle but shoudl pull hard from 2k up