Main Menu

Help - My 440 Challenger Sounds like a Camry

Started by 777Guy, January 14, 2021, 01:16:40 PM

Previous topic Next topic

777Guy

Pistons are new 1263.040 United Engine Machine Silvolite Pistons according to the build sheet

I think the heads are stock except for a clean up pass. Build sheet says "clean and magnaflux, recondition and resurface."

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: 777Guy on January 15, 2021, 06:50:11 AM
GranpaKevin!!

Really?? A pair of plum crazy 440 six packs!?!?! I think either would be a huge improvement! I'm really not kidding too much about the sound of mine very Camry like, stock cam, stock intake, stock manifolds and exhaust.

Thanks.

Don't get too caught up with exhaust size and headers.

The car with the bigger cam was built with leftover parts from the wife's car build and actually has cheapo leftover 1 3/4" Headman headers and old reused tiny stock sized 2 1/4"full exhaust system with stock style mufflers.
With the 4 speed and 3.73 rear it pulls like a freight train usually going sideways down the road. :burnout:

Anytime you get tired of that Camry you let me know.

I would love to add a purple 71 convertible to our collection and personally I would put a fuel injection setup (Six Pack FITECH possibly) on your car and top down cruise the hell out of it. :twothumbsup:

RUNCHARGER

Without knowing the head cc's and head gasket I would WAG your compression is about 9-1. Does your engine build sheet show a part # for the valve springs? Also, really reaching here but an installed height for the valve springs?
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 15, 2021, 07:48:02 AM
Without knowing the head cc's and head gasket I would WAG your compression is about 9-1. Does your engine build sheet show a part # for the valve springs? Also, really reaching here but an installed height for the valve springs?

Optimism is a wonderful thing.... I used 88 cc for the heads which is close... And .041 for the head gasket, which is common but the
Rebuilder Special" is .051 so I'm being optimistic too...    1.969 is the compression height of those pistons...  So assuming standard numbers the true compression ratio is 8.6... 

777Guy

wow... 8.6 to 1 is pretty bad......

FWIW, the valve springs are EL160-1143 valve spring 440 Chrysler 73-79 2.610f1

Mike

RUNCHARGER

Ah: Sorry I couldn't find a spec for them. You want to make sure your valve springs are compatible with a camshaft change. Either coil bind from a too thick spring at full lift (unlikely) or valvefloat from too light of a spring are disastrous.
Sheldon

777Guy

I agree and not knowing the specs means they'll hit the dumpster when I buy a cam because I'll get the proper springs with it.

Thanks
Mike

1 Wild R/T

Reading between the lines I think you'd be happier with the Lunati 703 cam... Unfortunately I think your engine will be happier with the Lunati 702 cam... So you should probably go with the 702... Or expect to fall off a very expensive cliff....

777Guy

hehehe... I can heed a warning just fine. LOL 702 it is.

Mike

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 777Guy on January 15, 2021, 07:48:14 PM
hehehe... I can heed a warning just fine. LOL 702 it is.

Mike

Darn it... I was hoping to post this....

777Guy

It appears my manifolds are 69 440 Magnum manifolds, 2806900/2843392. They should be the HP ones so should I leave them and just change the exhaust (stainless Flowmaster) ,  and go with the 702LK and appropriate springs. I've seen mentioned in a few places that the HP manifolds are very good and not near the trouble of anyone's headers? I really wanted headers for the sound, I certainly will never hit the RPM where the headers would make a real difference, so is it worth the headaches?

Thanks guys for helping me out and being a sounding board LOL

Mike

Chryco Psycho

The manifolds will work fine , & cost less .

RUNCHARGER

I agree: You'll enjoy the car more with the manifolds and that camshaft. No header leaks, no fitment issues, no watching out for speed bumps etc. You won't miss the 5HP gain through the mufflers.
Sheldon