Main Menu

Hemi intake manifold installation issues - help :( *UPDATED*

Started by Mopsquad, March 26, 2018, 10:20:06 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

UPDATE scroll down to see that the issue was caused by improper installation instructions provided by Edelbrock

Hello all!

Well, I'm having issues installing my Edelbrock EFi intake in my 426 Hemi. Seems crazy to me, since I've installed so many intakes, but never on a hemi and with puny 1/4" bolts.

First, using Superformance gaskets - - no issues here

Issue #1, trying to get 35 ft lbs of torque - I can tell if the bolts are starting to cinch down, but with this install It never really clamps down solid.  Using a torque wrench and I don't even get 20lbs
I've already broken two grade 5 bolts!  Have to easy out those :(

Issue #2, I've had to pull the intake off twice already after torquing down the bolts - because of the two broken bolts.
Can I still use these gaskets?

What am I doing wrong? Help!

Brads70

Just a thought.... are you sure the bolts are not too long and bottoming out?

Flatdad

Where did you get those torque specs??? I think factory specs are 72 in-lbs on the center 4 bolts and 48 in-lbs on the rest. That's INCH-lbs.

Mine is torqued to those specs with weak grade 2 bolts and sealing fine currently.
(Iron heads)

Mopsquad

I hope I didn't mess up ft/lbs and inch/lbs.  Well that's probably the issue.   :'(

I checked the depth and they are not bottoming out, but that's a good point.

Can I reuse the gaskets in place?

Cuda Cody

Where did you get those torque specs?  Here's the factory Hemi 426 intake torque specs that I use on my Cuda and Challengers.

Click to enlarge the photos...

RUNCHARGER

Way too tight, you are lucky the bolts broke, that is the fuse that saves the threads in the heads. Hemi's are really tricky to torque down the intake on. I start in the middle and alternate side to side while working my way out, start at a low torque rating and be very patient. If you don't alternate side to side or work from the middle it is easy to cock the intake and never get it to seal. The gaskets take a long time to crush too so it takes a lot of cycles to get them to torque. When you think you have them, retorque them after a day or two of sitting then again in a week. Your gaskets should be okay, now is a good time to look them over for even crush or any other problems though.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

Here's the intake bolt kit looks like.  Not sure if they still make or sell this kit.   :notsure:

Mopsquad

Thanks everyone.  I'll give it another shot tonight.  With proper torque specs and a clearer mind.

1 Wild R/T

If when you get it running the oil seems to be disappearing know that Hemi intakes are known for sealing problems....

Chryco Psycho

I would run a tap into the holes & oil the threads , they are not an easy install , work slow .

Mopsquad

I will do that for sure. 

Mopsquad

Quote from: Flatdad on March 26, 2018, 11:03:00 AM
Where did you get those torque specs??? I think factory specs are 72 in-lbs on the center 4 bolts and 48 in-lbs on the rest. That's INCH-lbs.

Mine is torqued to those specs with weak grade 2 bolts and sealing fine currently.
(Iron heads)

Ok, this may be the source of the issue.  I followed the torque guidelines as per their instruction sheet.  It came with the intake manifold. It states 35 ft lbs .

Flatdad

I just hopped on Edelbrock's website and did a search for installation instructions for manifold part number 7524, and 75245 which is the efi version of the dual quad hemi intake. They call for 8 ft-lbs (96 in-lbs). revised 5/5/2015.

Chryco Psycho

A 1/4 bolt will not take 35 ft lbs , no wonder they broke off , Edelbrocks mistake

Mopsquad

I'm going to call Summit and see how this will be handled.  I have yet to pull out the second broken bolt. Hopefully it will come out without event.  As for the threads being stripped, we'll see.