Main Menu

Holley sniper EFI install

Started by fireguyfire, August 10, 2020, 12:03:19 PM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I'm getting ready to install the inline fuel pump and filters from my Holley sniper EFI master kit in my 73 challenger, and I have a couple of questions for you guys that have already installed one.

The instructions say to install the pump low and within 2' of the fuel tank; the sending unit connection is on the top passenger side of the fuel tank.
Where did you guys mount the pump on a challenger?
Where did you route the supply and return hoses from the pump?
Any advice or pictures would be appreciated!

GoodysGotaCuda

Since you asked for "any advice", I would strongly suggest moving to an in-tank pump.

If you follow any of the Sniper Facebook groups you will quickly see how problematic inline pumps are. A lot of problems come down to it.

Best of luck with your install, my Sniper will be here Wednesday and I previously installed a FiTech. Both will run in-tank pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Scooter

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on August 10, 2020, 01:45:54 PM
Since you asked for "any advice", I would strongly suggest moving to an in-tank pump.

If you follow any of the Sniper Facebook groups you will quickly see how problematic inline pumps are. A lot of problems come down to it.

Best of luck with your install, my Sniper will be here Wednesday and I previously installed a FiTech. Both will run in-tank pumps.

Hey Goody, keep us updated! Any particular reason you are ditching FiTech for the Sniper? 

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Scooter on August 10, 2020, 02:24:57 PM

Hey Goody, keep us updated! Any particular reason you are ditching FiTech for the Sniper?
No ditching here, the Fitech is in my father in laws lil red express. The sniper will go in my 76 Warlock.

I think the sniper has some user interface improvements and a better proven customer support. Functionality-wise they should be pretty similar.

We will see how it works out, I'm sure there will be things that I prefer about both.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

fireguyfire

Can you elaborate on these issues?
I have 3 relatives that are running Holey Sniper kits on their old Mopars with the in-line pump for between 1-5 years and none of them have had any issues.
Also for me, I already have the online kit, which was pricey when factored into the master kit, and I do t want to wait 3 weeks for a tank pump to come in which is how long my local supplier said it would take to get one.

GrandpaKevin

I thought this new fuel pump setup from Holley looked very promising.
It is a direct drop in replacement to the existing fuel sending unit, keep your stock fuel tank, no cutting or mods, uses the stock fuel lines and no fuel return line is needed.

Anyone using this setup?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/efi_fuel_pumps/efi_in-tank_pumps/parts/12-318

YellowThumper

X2  for what Goody noted. I should have as well...
Correct, as close to tank as possible is best. Pumps push better than pull. The farther and higher they are the poorer their performance. I made a bracket out of junk steel that hangs down from the rear center shock mount crossmember.
Pump is located middle of car left to right. And sandwiched between the tank front and axle housing pumpkin. Inline Walbro. For return line I bent one that follows side by side to the original line. Modded the float mounting face with a bulkhead fitting next to the normal fuel line.

Here is the link to my thread discussing it.
Not pretty at all but has been functional for several years now. If link does not take you there. It's on page 3.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project-roseville-moparts/10/74-challenger-with-twins/9837/30
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Tantster

Scooter

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on August 10, 2020, 05:10:52 PM
I thought this new fuel pump setup from Holley looked very promising.
It is a direct drop in replacement to the existing fuel sending unit, keep your stock fuel tank, no cutting or mods, uses the stock fuel lines and no fuel return line is needed.

Anyone using this setup?

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_pumps_regulators_and_filters/fuel_pumps/efi_fuel_pumps/efi_in-tank_pumps/parts/12-318

Pretty elegant solution.... makes EFI more attractive by the day.

fireguyfire

For you guys that have run one of these already; did you connect to the steel fuel line to run fuel up to the engine bay, or did you run the soft line all the way up? Looks like people have done both

Chryco Psycho

I have always connected with steel hard line .

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: fireguyfire on August 13, 2020, 12:45:17 PM
For you guys that have run one of these already; did you connect to the steel fuel line to run fuel up to the engine bay, or did you run the soft line all the way up? Looks like people have done both
I use nylon braided front to back.

2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

shawge

Steel since I already had new lines in, and soft lines at the ends to the tank and engine..
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

YellowThumper

Custom setup on mine but ran the hard line all the way up. Just bent line to trace the factory line. Run parallel with each other.
This way you could also just purchas a pre-bent 3/8 for your car. Then use factory for return.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

chaps70rt

Not sure if you guys caught this or not?   Holley now makes an in-tank fuel pump and sending unit that replaces the OEM parts inside the
original tank.  It is Part# 12-318.  Does not require a return line as it is self regulating.   There is a video on Holley.com    It replaces the
original parts, but requires a power source for the pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LsoQaKn86o&t=41s

I am just getting set up to run the Sniper kit with the above and the Holley Sniper Hyperspark set up (CD Box and Coil).  I have a local
guy that has done a few of these on  B-bodies with great results and trouble free.   Hyperspark also allows you to adjust timing from the 3.5" colour screen.   All plug and play.

Will post my results as it gets installed and running on my 440 4-BBL Challenger.
70 Challenger R/T
440 4-BBL, 4-speed, shaker
2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi