Main Menu

How do I store a freshly boiled/cleaned block?

Started by 7E-Bodies, July 20, 2018, 10:24:40 AM

Previous topic Next topic

7E-Bodies

Hi all.  Machine shop called, my block is ready to be picked up.  It's beed dipped/boiled, sonic tested and magnafluxed.  I had this done early in the restoration process due to wanting to know if my numbers match block was good before opening the cash flood gates.  This block will now be stored in my shop as restoration proceeds.  I don't want a finished engine sitting for long periods of time so I'm seeking suggestions on how to store it.  Should I mask off the machined/deck surfaces and rattl can the cast surfaces, fog the machine surfaces and crate it?  Suggestions?
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Burdar

I'd ask the machine shop what they'd do.  Personally, I'd probably oil down the entire thing and bag it.  :dunno:

HP_Cuda

Only oil down the areas you don't want to rust, also only paint areas you don't want to rust.

:D
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Burdar

If you are planning on eventually spraying the engine with a paint gun, I probably wouldn't rattle can any paint on it now.  :alan2cents:

JS29

Epoxy primer, paint, oil were you don't want paint. Bag it and if possible keep it in A room with A dehumidifier.   :alan2cents:

headejm

Topcat

Another trick during winter to avoid condensation forming inside the plastic bag, is to use an electric blanket.

Wrap it all around it.

Put on a timer, keep it on low, and you're good to go.  :bigthumb:

Plumcrazzy

Here is what I do: Find a secure place for storage that is not in the way. I don't paint until assembly is underway or starting soon. Spray ALL bare metal with rust inhibitor. Build a cardboard box around the engine and make a few holes for ventilation. Install a 150 watt light bulb under the engine (away from the cardboard). Should be fine and the light will let you see if any problems occur. Works for me.

GoodysGotaCuda

Empty a WD40 can on every bare part on it and bag it. Held my Hemi like this for over a year and not a lick of any sort of rust on it.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

BIGSHCLUNK

My 440 got an entire can of cosmoline in a heavy duty plastic bag vented at the top. It was there for five years... no issues

RUNCHARGER

I would epoxy prime and paint the outside and oil or grease every other surface.
Sheldon