Main Menu

How to tell if crossover is blocked?

Started by Poolshark314, June 11, 2021, 04:25:06 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Poolshark314

Just ordered a coolcarb spacer and heat shield for my 440 with the 2806178 intake. In the package, there was a note that said "If your intake has a heat crossover, it MUST be blocked off. The polycore could melt."

I have been reading about how to block it off using extra gasket material, RTV, tin foil, etc, but is there an easy way for me to tell if it is already blocked off WITHOUT pulling the intake manifold off? Didn't order an intake manifold gasket and was hoping to get this installed this weekend. Thanks in advance guys
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

RUNCHARGER

You can feel/measure if it's hot with the engine running. If the intake manifold painted is the paint burnt off in the middle?
Sheldon

Dakota

My crossover is open.  The paint on my manifold at the base of the carb is blistering off. 

Poolshark314

Thanks for the answers @RUNCHARGER and @Dakota . Is this the part that would be bare of paint if it were open?
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Dakota

Driver side view of carb base is shown.  Same thing is happening on the passenger side.   This paint is supposed to good to about 500 degrees. 

My heat riser valve is welded in an open position (just checked this yesterday by unbolting the exhaust pipe from the manifold), so this is what happens just from incidental flow of exhaust.  The paint on the rest of the intake manifold looks fine.

7dcuda

There's really no way to know for sure if the crossover is blocked without removing the intake.  Since there is no coolant that flows thru 440 intakes removing them is no big deal.  If you need/want to block the crossover the best way to do it is by using a Fel Pro Valley Pan #1215....it has the crossover blocked.  BTW...what you have circled in your pics IS the valley pan.  It serves as a closeout for the lifter valley and as the intake manifold gasket.   

Poolshark314

Got it all installed and running, went for 30-45 min drive, shut it down, started it right back up no problem!

I think that problem is solved, but now it seems to want to stall out when in reverse or sitting at a light in gear. If I put it in neutral it idles fine.

Could that be a vacuum leak from all the gaskets not properly sealing? Or maybe I just need to tune the carb a little more?

I went with the open plenum instead of the 4-hole plate if that makes a difference.
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Chryco Psycho

Tune the carb !
Did you install a 1215 intake gasket to block the crossover ?

Poolshark314

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 15, 2021, 05:56:21 PM
Tune the carb !
Did you install a 1215 intake gasket to block the crossover ?

I ordered shorter bolts from Coolcarb, which are awesome btw, because the studs have hex heads in the top so you don't need to double-nut them on or off. Anyway, I swapped the bolts out today and noticed they were pretty loose coming off, so I suspect that I might have just been worried about overtightening them. I didn't go for a drive, but put it in gear and idled without sounding like it wanted to stall, so hopefully that was the issue. I'll know more this weekend
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD