Main Menu

Ignition coil specs

Started by Mrbill426, March 07, 2022, 11:01:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mrbill426

Chasing down a no spark issue here... does anyone have the correct resistance specs for the ignition coil on a stock electronic system?  Is there a fudge factor above or below the specs where you should still at least have some spark?  Pickup coil too... and the air gap, is there a range?

:wrenching:

Rich G.

I have these brass feeler gauges that are used to set the pick up back in my gas station days, go-no-go I think is what they called them. 10 is the setting .

Bullitt-

I believe different coils have some variation in resistance numbers. Most reference I read suggests if your close it should work. 

My '73 service manual lists two sets of numbers

for Prestolite Primary resistance 1.60 to 1.79 ohms Secondary resistance 9400 to 11700 ohms

for Essex Primary resistance 1.41 to 1.55 ohms Secondary resistance 8000 to 10200 ohms
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Filthy Filbert

Primary should be .5-3 ohms
Secondary should be like 5-20k ohms

Bullitt-

Pickup coil 150 to 900 ohms is what I'm seeing online...
Airgap to relutor .008 inch per the manual
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Mrbill426

Thanks for all the information guys, much appreciated!  :bigthumb: Turns out it is a bad module.
Also I thought I could static time it like with a points ignition but with the marks on the balancer where I want them and the key on no amount of rocking the distributor back and forth produces a spark from the coil.  I can remove the distributor and get plenty of "snaps" while spinning it but otherwise nope.  Guess I will line up the reluctor point with the pickup bar, and rotor with the #1 tower and fine tune it when it hopefully starts.  :dunno:

:wrenching: