Main Menu

Ignition suggestions for a 340 street engine. Distributor, coil, etc.

Started by soccernut43, August 15, 2020, 07:39:01 AM

Previous topic Next topic

soccernut43

Any suggestions for a street ignition system for a 340 engine?  Going to be a cruiser and thought before I start throwing money at things I'd get the groups thoughts.  Thanks in advance.

Chryco Psycho

I would use a stock electronic dist , Rev-n-ator ECU & a Pertronics coil
Relatively cheap & reliable , only the ECU is expensive

soccernut43

Thanks.  Gives me a place to start.  Starting this project 36 years after the Cuda was garaged and not raced.  I still have the dual point Mallory distributor and Accel coil (which now leaks lol).  I'm done with doing points lol.

soccernut43

And also having to think about going back to a vacuum advance to make it streetable.

soccernut43

Mancini Racing has a Rev-n-ator matched coil and ICU (new generation I guess) for $254.  Anybody have experience with this combination?

Chryco Psycho

That should work great , I would not worry about vacuum advance ,I never use it

soccernut43

On my old Mallory I had to change weights.  On the newer stock distributors don't you have to do that since you aren't using vacuum advance?

Really appreciate the time.

soccernut43

Sadly, the Rev-n-ator is not available anywhere.  I may be stuck going with this one from Summit.

1970 PLYMOUTH CUDA Summit Racing® Billet Electronic Mopar Distributors SUM-851003-1

It includes the ECU, coil, distributor, and wiring.

7212Mopar

Have you check RevNator website direct? They have the same package deal. It is good way to go assume you stay with carburetor. I took mine out when switching to fuel injection and i wanted the CPU to control timing.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

soccernut43

Yes, unfortunately all options are "temporarily out of stock".  The Rev-n-ator, coil, and distributors are all out of stock.

Scooter

Quote from: soccernut43 on August 15, 2020, 11:31:47 AM
Yes, unfortunately all options are "temporarily out of stock".  The Rev-n-ator, coil, and distributors are all out of stock.

RevNator has been OOS everywhere I've looked since 2019.

The FBO box has similar features and uses the Petronix coil and bypasses the ballast as well.

The FBO kit comes with the timing advance limiting plate as well. Pricing is about the same.

I don't know if there is a preference one unit over the other.

:alan2cents:

soccernut43

gzig5

I've got the FBO ECU/coil/mechanical limiter kit on a stock 73 electronic distributor, and I'm very happy with it. My car has the double ballast resistor so I picked up a spare and hogged out the ignition ballast to install the jumper. You can't tell it isn't stock.

http://4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html

FIAARMN

I was about to post the same thing, so I did not want to double post, do you mind if I jump in on the action?

Looking for a more modern Dist,coil and ignition set up possible.   1970 AAR 340 4spd......  Car has a mild cam....
1970 AAR Cuda Limelight Green,White Interior, - Hamtramck Built 36k miles, Verified All Numbers Match - Broadcast Sheet, Warranty Card & Window Sticker!

Scooter

I don't mind going a bit overboard on ignition even on mild street engines.

Especially if it helps making the timing curve easier to control.

Anything that helps a cleaner burn is a good thing IMHO.

Pain threshold is always your wallet... how much ignition you willing to pay for?

On my BB Ford with a mild cam I went the full MSD gambit, billet dizzy, 6AL box, etc..

Was having issues nailing down the mechanical advance and did not feel like welding up plates in the stock dizzy. No regrets.

For my SB Challenger I'll probably go the FBO route (box, ballast bypass and coil) sans their Petronix dizzy.

For now at least....

:alan2cents: