Main Menu

Installing fuel pump

Started by nsmall, September 12, 2017, 11:27:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

nsmall

Yes I'm really asking this.

So when it comes to installing this fuel pump I'm assuming I just go ahead and keep cranking on the bolts and it will work its way in there as it doesn't fit flush.

Also when it comes to the gasket I'm assuming a little goop on both sides is a good idea?

Thanks

Katfish

I think it should sit a little more flush.
Maybe turn the engine over a little and retry.
The pump arm rides directly against the cam on a SB.

anlauto

If you tightened it the way it is you'll only activate the pump arm.....no harm done. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Burdar

There is a lot of force on that pump arm.  It won't sit flush until the bolts are tight.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Yup, just tighten it until it's flush.  I put a little cam break-in lube on the contact part of the arm too.  Might not be needed, but it doesn't hurt to have a little extra protection on the first start up.  But I think your cam is already broke in so you are probably fine without it if you already installed the pump.

CudaMoparRay

Learn something new every day. I never would have thought to continue tightening it as it seems counter intuitive. Great info to know, thanks guys

HP_Cuda

Since it's not flush make sure you are not cross threading before torquing them down.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Roadman

Quote from: HP_Cuda on September 13, 2017, 04:16:06 PM
Since it's not flush make sure you are not cross threading before torquing them down.

:iagree:  You can turn the motor to the point where you are on the low point of the cam lobe, but will still have pressure on the spring in the pump. Start bolts straight .    :rebelflag"

RUNCHARGER

Keep tightening and I use gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket at that spot.
Sheldon

nsmall

Thanks everyone. Followed your directions...worked great. My car has been painted.  I'm 95% done restoring the parts.  Here are two teaser photos...

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

303 Mopar

Quote from: Roadman on September 13, 2017, 05:36:03 PM
Quote from: HP_Cuda on September 13, 2017, 04:16:06 PM

:iagree:  You can turn the motor to the point where you are on the low point of the cam lobe, but will still have pressure on the spring in the pump. Start bolts straight .    :rebelflag"

JS29

A crossed thread is A sure thread!!!!!!   :barf:

Cuda Cody

That color looks GOOD!!!!!   :1place: 

HP_Cuda

LOL 303

If you are going to do it don't do it half assed.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200