Main Menu

Intake Manifold Heat Shield Rivets

Started by Gary AAR, June 19, 2019, 07:32:35 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

I am cleaning up my 340 Six Pack intake manifold, and I have questions about the heat shield on the underside of the manifold. 
Should I remove the heat shield to clean underneath it?
Whats the easiest way to remove the rivets that hold the heat shield to the manifold?
Should I replace the the rivets when reinstalling the heat shield?
Is there a source for new rivets?
Thanks for the help.

Burdar

I would leave it alone.  There shouldn't be anything under there.  If you have a bunch of carbon sticking out from under the plate, then you have a cracked manifold.  My original manifold had big mass of carbon coming out from under the plate.  The plate was bent from the carbon pushing on it.  I found out later that the manifold had a crack in it that ran through the exhaust crossover.

Chryco Psycho

There can be carbon under there the oil can Coke against the hot manifold which is why the shield is there , the rivits are twisted you can pry them out & tap them back in , it would not hurt to use locktite or you can leave it alone . A friend glass beaded his intake , all of the glass bead never was cleaned out properly & glass bead kept sticking the oil pressure bypass open so make sure you remove the plate if you glass bead !!

1 Wild R/T

If the motor ran Pennzoil or Quaker State it's common to have a lot of sludge in there... Modern engines or engines in general with modern oil tend to stay clean, back in the 60's & 70's severe sludge was pretty common...

The plate is easy to remove, a chisel to the side of the rivet head & normally the rivets pop right out... They are available new, they are called drive rivets...
https://www.mcmaster.com/90081a310  $8.56 for a pack of 100....   I put a dab of Locktite Stud & Bearing Mount on them when I reinstall them...

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Gary AAR

Thanks all for the input.  I was able to remove the rivets with no problem.  Now ready for more cleaning.
Thanks again.

aussiemark

Gary AAR

Not as much carbon build up as I thought there might be, but I still want to get it all cleaned off.  Anybody found a good way to clean the carbon off???

Chryco Psycho

1 Wild R/T

If it's truly carbon as Burdar mentioned check your crossover... It should be cooked oil residue... Which Castrol Super Clean will melt....