Main Menu

Intake Manifold hitting distributor base?

Started by Scooter, August 03, 2020, 02:22:17 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

Crap low light photo.. sorry. 360 iron heads with Weiand Action plus intake.

Upgraded my exhaust to a set of TTI shorty's and can hear a bit of pinging under load. Changing the distributor 0-ring was on my gig list anyway so I figured I'd hit it before I started playing with the timing this weekend. Loosened the bold and could not get the dang thing to budge. Got up in there and found the back of the Weiand intake is wedged up against the dizzy base. Did I hit the casting defect lottery or could this be another issue?

:dunno:

Chryco Psycho

Best fix is pull the intake & grind for clearance , other solution is to pull the dist & mill clearance in the dist flange , either will work

Scooter

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 03, 2020, 10:08:31 PM
Best fix is pull the intake & grind for clearance , other solution is to pull the dist & mill clearance in the dist flange , either will work

Plan is to pull the dizzy, tape the hole and grind a few thou off. Going to get some leverage on the dizzy base today and see if I can get it to move without galling it up. Never seen an intake have this much contact before.. just lucky I guess.

Burdar

The quickest way to do it is to take a little off the distributor.  The bonus is that you don't have to worry about taping off anything and hoping you don't get any shavings into the engine.