Main Menu

Leaking center carb

Started by tman, January 19, 2019, 04:24:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tman

Owned my car for 12 yrs, equipped with the Holley repro 6pack for 440 (69-70 version).  So it has been running trouble free till now.  Since last summer, the center carb (4144-1) is leaking at the pump diaphragm area.  I have changed out the diaphragm (GFLT type) 3 times now and it still leaks.  I installed a new Accelerator pump housing (30cc) since the original one was a bit warped.  It still leaks at the accelerator pump area.  Actually see slow dripping at center of pump housing.  So I think maybe its leaking at the bowl gasket area to the pump area.  So I changed out bowl gasket, same result.  Tried to get a mirror to see exactly where its coming from and its too difficult.  What should I be looking for?  Im stumped.  Im thinking the bowl maybe getting porous somewhere, but don't know.  Next stop is to replace the bowl, but Holley says they do not stock new bowls for this carb.  Anyone know where to get a new replacement bowl?  Worried about a used one having same issue.  Any tips would be great!
Thanks all.   

Chryco Psycho

I always ordered new bowls from Holley as they still make the complete carb , are you sure you cannot order it new still ?
The Accel pump is the low point , it could be coming from the metering block or bowl gaskets or the bowl screw gaskets or even the needle & seat on top , might be worth replacing all of the gaskets & even using a Holley 396 rebuild kit .

Aar1064

Are you using the Holley blue fiber gaskets? My center bowl seeped appearing as pump was leaking. I changed to these type gaskets and for a year now, no leaks.

tman

Forgot to mention, Yes, I used Holley rebuild kit gaskets, the blue ones.  I also changed out the bowl screw gaskets, which looked plastic.  One of the top screws is leaking too that I just noticed, but its on the fuel line side.  I definitely saw a slow drip right at the accel pump lever area.  When I did remove the prior diaphragms, half of the bottom side of the diaphragm was wet.  Yes, I sure did replace all the gaskets.

About a month ago, I contacted Holley about replacement bowls and metering block and this was their response:

"Thank you for emailing Holley Tech Service, unfortunately we do not offer replacement bowls or metering blocks for this carb. it is a specialty carb we do not have the replacement parts like we would for 4150''s and 4160''s you may try Promax Mopar carbs 317-484-1451."

tman

On a sidenote, if I end up getting a new center carb from Holley, is there a difference between the 4144-1 vs 0-4670?  They say application for the 4144 is 69-70 and 4670 for 71.  I don't know why the 4670 is less dollars.  According to Holley site, one difference is "booster" 4144 "straight" and 4670 is "down leg"  and there is an Emission rating difference.

Here is where fuel is puddling on the manifold.  It will also puddle on the fuel line side of the manifold.  And its coming from the center carb only. 

aussiemark

Here you go they will have it, they are unpacking their inventory because they've just moved to Oregon so you may need to be patient.
http://www.chicagocarburetor.com/carburetor-parts.php?c=2354

RUNCHARGER

Hmm: Did you check everything for flatness? It's sad Holley doesn't service what they sell.
Sheldon

tman

Yes I did check for warpage and you are right, Holley does not service or at least keep parts available to support their product.  I remember a few years ago some folks were able to buy new fuel bowls from them, but I guess they stopped. 

Chryco Psycho

I would order 3-4 6 pack bowls ata time , they often get stripped if you overtighten the float adjuster , I guess they quit selling them .

cuda dad

I was able to get a bowl for a 4791 from Holley but I called the Tech Line and waited until I could speak with someone.  It took a few weeks but it finally came.

tman

I called Chicago Carb and they have not had stock of the Mopar center fuel bowls for sometime now.  Anyone have another source? 

HP_Cuda

I'm with Neil, pull the center carb, rebuild it and check the center bowl for warp-age.

Before putting it back on the manifold fill it up with fuel via the vent and check for leaks.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

SYDWAZ

Another possibility is Walker Products in Missouri.