Main Menu

Leaks...and options..

Started by kawahonda, July 03, 2019, 11:23:43 AM

Previous topic Next topic

73_Cuda_4_Me

:bigthumb: Yup, mine were 1-5/8", so that should work... mine did not have the sealing ring around it...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

kawahonda

So go for the doorman universal one for now? If it fits and seals, I'm fine with it. I'm not sure how exact it needs to be...

The other option is to order an exact fit-set, but that means 2-3 days (or more) in shipping.

The nice thing about the universal one is I can pick it up today and start work on it...
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cuda Cody

When they stop leaking, it normally means they're out of oil.  :bigthumb:  :haha:

Adding oil each week is just an extra slow oil change!   :D 

1 Wild R/T

Universal.. Okay... Guess what? 1 5/8" is exactly the correct size....

kawahonda

Found a place that had these locally. I'm set.

1 Wild R/T

As others have already stated, when one is leaking the others are rotting, so which ever ones you can access you should change...
Changing all of them is best but that requires either the engine or the trans comes out... I'd do what you can & cross your fingers.... And as mentioned, there's likely to be some crud hiding behind the plugs... I like to remove all that I can then use a garden hose to flush the block as much as you can.... First just force water through the radiator fill, then if you don't mind getting dirty shove the nozzle into the freeze plug holes & finally back to the top...

kawahonda

Is this a case though to not "disturb" the crud? I would hate to break up any stuff and have it go right into my brand new re-cored radiator. I definitely plan to get as much out as possible, but I'd hate to flush it around in there if it could end up where I don't want it....

Is there a way to flush the block without removing the thermostat?

1 Wild R/T

Your removing the freeze plug or plugs, the crud will be disturbed... Disconnect the radiator hoses so it can't get there... You could force water through the heater hoses....

kawahonda

I will inspect the other freeze plugs, but if they look sound and dry, I won't touch them--on the sole basis that there does appear to be a small water leak still in the rear, but it's very tolerable...the one behind the starter is a big dripper and needs to be solved ASAP.

I'll take pics and follow up. Car is already jacked up and I'm about to begin. Got a six pack of coors to keep me cool....it's 90F in the garage.

I'll decide if I want to undergo the extra hour of flushing or not once I pop it out.

1 Wild R/T

Maybe you'll get lucky & it'll be clean... I've seen a fair number that were clean, but most aren't...

kawahonda

Wow. Was nearly full of gunk.

The freeze plug is toast. The top area of it was my doing with a punch, but the bottom clearly has a rust hole.

I inspected all other plugs and they look good from the outside, no corrosion. Bright shiny metal.

I absolutely will flush this out knowing how much gunk was in there. I plan to shoot upwards into the water pump and hopefully that will do it. I absolutely will NOT shoot into the hole.

kawahonda

Here's the plug next to it. Looks good and no corrosion.

1 Wild R/T

As completely accessible as that plug is & considering you have a bag full I would knock that one out for sure.... :alan2cents:

kawahonda

kawahonda

In the pass side, they are less accessible.

First pic, motor mount is partially in the way.

Second pic, accessible.

Third pic, I have to remove that support bar. It won't be a clean shot to get it in, but it's possible. This one looks a little suspect.