Main Menu

Leaks - valve covers, Fuel Lines T/A six pack need advice

Started by Bossgold, October 10, 2019, 10:51:05 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Bossgold

Valve Covers: pesky leak driver side....What gaskets does anyone use or recommend with success? Permatex'd the top gasket to cover but gasket to head leaks.....don't want to gasket cinch it in case I need to remove so what have you all used that finally worked? Part of the problem is the original valve cover lip is flexible not ridged....trying not to goop the crap out of it so is there a really unique/good gasket that works well with these original valve covers??

Fuel lines Six pack : Anyone recommend a specific seller/where to buy for good quality 'stock' non - stainless fuel line kit?  Can't get the one outboard to stop leaking...heard the stainless lines are bad so any Ideas to stop the leak?, not over tighten? and have it look stock? would be appreciated

Thanks

Chryco Psycho

Shane Kelley

On the valve covers. Usually it's the passenger rear that's troublesome.
Things to look for:
small crack where bolt and washer contact. Remedy is weld or replace   (I have seen this a few times)
valve cover pulled down where bolt and washer contact. Remedy is remove cover and straighten out distorted area with a hammer and block of wood  (seen this a lot)
Both of these are from over tightening.
make sure your bolt is not to long and bottoming out before it pulls the cover down. (usually a big block issue do to shallow bolt hole)

The way you described your install is how I do them. Glue them to the cover and that's it.
Valve cover leaks can be a real hassle when using stock valve covers. That's why I try to run aluminum ones anymore. I really like the Edlebrock valve cover gaskets but if you have other issues it won't matter what brand you use.

Bossgold

Thanks Shane this was very helpful....I have never had so many issues with stupid valve covers.  I was going to use gasket cinch for the bottom to the head but was warned it will be a mess to remove......glad to hear I'm not the only one.   I did order AMD covers and they have a rib on the bottom which makes them more rigid so I think I might try those...

Rich G.

Is your fuel leak coming from the carb to fitting or fitting  to line? They can be a pain if the carb fitting loosen up a bit when you tighten the line.

Bossgold

thanks Rich....both places...so loosen leak area then retighten??? cause I do not want to over tighten....is there thread sealer of any kind I can use????

Rich G.

No sealer , there is a washer on the carb fitting, nothing on the lines.

Chryco Psycho

As above the fittings are flare fittings , self sealing , you can lube the threads tho

Shane Kelley

I was having VC leaking issues on the Hemi and ordered a set of Cometic gaskets from Summit. They were pricey compared to all the rest but well worth it. They were metal reinforced rubber gaskets with the rib molded in the exact shape of the valve covers. Fit perfect and sealed excellent. Now I can't say for certain the small blocks are the same but I would assume they are.

Chryco Psycho

HEMICUDA

Quote from: Shane Kelley on October 10, 2019, 12:32:35 PM
On the valve covers. Usually it's the passenger rear that's troublesome.
Things to look for:
small crack where bolt and washer contact. Remedy is weld or replace   (I have seen this a few times)
valve cover pulled down where bolt and washer contact. Remedy is remove cover and straighten out distorted area with a hammer and block of wood  (seen this a lot)
Both of these are from over tightening.
make sure your bolt is not to long and bottoming out before it pulls the cover down. (usually a big block issue do to shallow bolt hole)

The way you described your install is how I do them. Glue them to the cover and that's it.
Valve cover leaks can be a real hassle when using stock valve covers. That's why I try to run aluminum ones anymore. I really like the Edlebrock valve cover gaskets but if you have other issues it won't matter what brand you use.

Shane is absolutely correct.  The first thing I do is inspect all the bolt holes to make sure they're not split or mushroomed down from over tightening.  I also silicone the gasket to the cover and not the head surface, never over tighten the bolts.  I've always had great luck with plain old cork gaskets, nothing special.

RUNCHARGER

Same, inspect the bolt areas of the valve covers carefully. I also inspect the gasket surfaces of the valve covers with a straight edge and repair as necessary. I haven't ever bolted a valve cover on without working it first. Cork works and stick them to the covers.
I've even seen the siderails bent from "techs" prying on them with a screwdriver.
Sheldon

72 Challenger

I use aviation gasket sealer on my gaskets. Permatex bran comes in a little bottle with a brush.
Someday I will have a J0b.