Wedg2Go

Brand:

Which brand and why?

------------------------------------------

Oil Filters:

Which brand and why?

Change How Often:

Are you a hardcore believer to change every 3000 miles or 3 months (which ever comes first)? 

The "Life Blood of Your Engine" it has been said. Your thoughts?

Cuda Cody

Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil (20-50 on the older cars that is designed for Flat Tappets) and Mobil 1 Filters.  Daily drivers get done every 3,000 (gas and diesel) and the muscle cars get done about once every 12 to 18 months or about 250 miles.  :Thud:   

Cuda Cody

Also, we have a cool new item that will be in the Prize Shop that you might like.  I hope to have it in the Prize Shop in the next couple days.

Roadman

I use Valvoline VR1 Racing 20/50 for years. Plenty of zinc for flat tappets, about $6 a quart at any auto parts store. For filters I use K&N just because that's what Tim used (FHO) when he broke in the Hemi on the dyno. If Tim likes them, I'm in.    :rebelflag"

Chryco Psycho

Weill I have used WIX Gold filters for years  one of the top rated filers & available a;most anywhere
Oil yeah well VR1 & Mobil 20-50 have the zinc needed but they are heavy oil
Joe Gibbs or Brad Penn have special flat tappet formulations  in lighter grades
I fyou are using a roller cam no issue anything will work , Flat tappet ideally you want a SJ rated oil , SL is ok as well but anything SM or SN is not designed to keep a flat tappet cam healthy
The secret is Agriculture oils are still available in SJ as they are not for on road use so often you can get really good oil from a farm supply still . :alan2cents:

HP_Cuda

I know Brad had a good post about this before and basically it showed the FRAM filter pulled apart and one from WIX.

Hands down WIX for filters, I'm sold.

B
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Roadman

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 24, 2017, 09:33:09 AM
Also, we have a cool new item that will be in the Prize Shop that you might like.  I hope to have it in the Prize Shop in the next couple days.

:pixiepop:    :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

lulurocks(Ken)

Wix

Brad penn (shop around the corner sells it lol)

Every 1000 miles if i didnt beat her like a red haired step child , if so 500 miles

If you sand off the orange paint on the fram you can see what brand of recycled beer can they made them from that day,,, junk ....

Wedg2Go

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 24, 2017, 10:00:21 AM
Weill I have used WIX Gold filters for years  one of the top rated filers & available a;most anywhere
Oil yeah well VR1 & Mobil 20-50 have the zinc needed but they are heavy oil
Joe Gibbs or Brad Penn have special flat tappet formulations  in lighter grades
I fyou are using a roller cam no issue anything will work , Flat tappet ideally you want a SJ rated oil , SL is ok as well but anything SM or SN is not designed to keep a flat tappet cam healthy
The secret is Agriculture oils are still available in SJ as they are not for on road use so often you can get really good oil from a farm supply still . :alan2cents:

Question? When you say heavy oil, wouldn't that be in direct correlation as to how hot you run your engine, time of year, or climate? Or would it still be considered too heavy? I asked only to satisfy my own curiosity, since I run a roller set up but have a ft in the other ride.

headejm

Quote from: Roadman on July 24, 2017, 09:49:19 AM
               I use Valvoline VR1 Racing 20/50 for years. Plenty of zinc for flat tappets, about $6 a quart at any auto parts store. For filters I use K&N just because that's what Tim used (FHO) when he broke in the Hemi on the dyno. If Tim likes them, I'm in.    :rebelflag"

@Roadman I'm building a basically stock 383 N engine and have decided to use VR1 oil in it. Do I need any additional ZDDP oil additive or can I use VR1 without an additive for the break-in? Lunati recommends their #301 additive with plain oil or a high ZDDP oil without an additive like Joe Gibbs. I've always liked Valvoline oil so that's what I'm going with. Mostly concerned about the break-in.

Cuda Cody

Get the spec sheet for the oil.  You'll want to be at least at 1,200 zddp.

Roadman

Quote from: headejm on July 24, 2017, 01:39:16 PM
Quote from: Roadman on July 24, 2017, 09:49:19 AM

@Roadman I'm building a basically stock 383 N engine and have decided to use VR1 oil in it. Do I need any additional ZDDP oil additive or can I use VR1 without an additive for the break-in? Lunati recommends their #301 additive with plain oil or a high ZDDP oil without an additive like Joe Gibbs. I've always liked Valvoline oil so that's what I'm going with. Mostly concerned about the break-in.

I would follow Lunati's recommendation for break in, then you can go with the VR1 after that. Better safe than sorry.   :rebelflag"

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Cuda Cody on July 24, 2017, 09:32:04 AM
Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil (20-50 on the older cars that is designed for Flat Tappets) and Mobil 1 Filters.  Daily drivers get done every 3,000 (gas and diesel) and the muscle cars get done about once every 12 to 18 months or about 250 miles.  :Thud:

Agree, Mobil 1 Synthetic and Mobil 1 filters in particular the best although synthetic oil brands in general are way better than regular oil in proven tests.
The only variance in my opinion would be up to 5,000 miles.

cordodge

Well I have a Wix filter on now because I had one, but Tim [FHO] uses the K&N which ill switch to next time. Also heard Baldwin filters are the best but don't really know. Oil Tim recommended is Joe Gibbs LS-30, Its a 5W30 really light but he says its what I want, he said just don't tell your Hemi its running GM LS oil. Ill take his advice all day long. But like a lot of guys I used to run really heavy oil.

Bruce.

blown motor

Napa gold filter and Castrol GTX with STP addative for the zinc in my 340 with a flat tappet.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel