Main Menu

Loosining my rocker shafts for winter storage?

Started by Beetle, November 13, 2018, 09:03:30 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Beetle

I was wondering if anybody loosens there rocker shafts for winter storage, to relieve valve spring pressure. It's a 440 2.19 valves .525 lift cam .new  cam just did break in.
Does it Sound like a good idea or bad to loosen rocker shafts.

Cuda Cody

I've never done it, but I start mine and run them around the block each month on a dry day during winter.

Topcat

Disco the coil wire and crank it once every 45-60 days and you'll be fine till Spring.

My engine builder, Dave Timmons:
Mopar Engines West, who built my Hemi said to turn it over on occasions or let off spring PSI if sitting for long periods.

Beetle

I wish I could drive mine around the block it's 10 degrees Fahrenheit here and have December and January to go.  :Thud:The lakes haven't frozen over yet and I'm already sick of the cold. Maybe I should drive it south.... :rebelflag"

redgum78

Quote from: Beetle on November 13, 2018, 09:03:30 PM
I was wondering if anybody loosens there rocker shafts for winter storage, to relieve valve spring pressure. It's a 440 2.19 valves .525 lift cam .new  cam just did break in.
Does it Sound like a good idea or bad to loosen rocker shafts.

I wouldn't be too worried about the springs, they are designed to hold tension over long periods. If it really bothered you rotate it by hand 180 degrees every month.
If you are worried about wiping out your camshaft the best thing would be to start it occasionally and run it up to 2500-3000rpm for a brief moment.
In my opinion you will do more damage to high lift flat tappet camshaft spinning it on the starter for any longer than is necessary to start the engine. The oil finds its way between the cam lob and the lifter when the valve is closed, once the valve starts to open the spring tension is trying to force the oil film out the entire time until the valve is closed again. At low RPM (cranking on the starter) you greatly extend this time period and run the risk of metal to metal contact. Once your cam is run in it can tolerate this to an extent but high lift, high spring tension and low RPM will still equal shortened camshaft life.

RUNCHARGER

Personally, I think the more times you start or turn them over cold the better chance of wiping a lobe. For me I think you should let it sit until spring then pull the distributor and pre-oil before starting if you are really worried. Springs for a .525 lift cam shouldn't require releasing rocker tension although the closed valves might keep humidity out.
20 replies = 20 opinions eh?
Sheldon

Beetle

Thanks all reply are appreciated.
I'm thinking I would enjoy hearing it every month in anticipation of spring.  I haven't drove it (1973 Challenger 340 ralleye) since 2000 and just got her running again with my first big block. 
I had a 340 with nitrous before. I can't wait till spring time..

jimynick

If it's any consolation, my poor old 74 Challenger sat without even turning over, for at least 25 years and when we started the old gal, it ran fine. I imagine you'll be ok letting yours sit for 4-5 months. Just my  :alan2cents:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

usraptor

Starting your engine and running it briefly or until the temp gauge says it's at operating temp only and then shutting it off is hard on the engine and oil and builds sludge. Just because the temp gauge says the engine is at normal operating temp does not mean that the engine is actually at operating temps were the engine heat is burning off condensation that is inside the engine.  Talk to any knowledgeable engine builder and they will tell you short running times, ie idling for 30 minutes, or short trips to the store and back, etc. that do not bring the engine up to full operating temps cause more wear on the engine than just letting it set for extended periods.  It's best to just drain and put fresh oil in and run it for several miles to get to operating temps, then put it away for the winter, hook up a battery tender and don't turn it over or start the engine until you're ready to drive it next spring. The springs will be fine.