Main Menu

Lower radiator hose

Started by Mark_B, October 03, 2022, 04:50:33 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mark_B

Hi All,

Could someone please tell me if the lower radiator hose is the same diameter as the upper radiator hose on a 1970 Challenger 340?

I can't seem to find a lower hose on Rock Auto.  Do I order an upper hose and cut it to length?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

anlauto

Lower rad hose is a larger diameter  :alan2cents: Try searching Gates 20958 on Rockauto
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Jay Bee

I just bought one locally (Carquest, St. Catharines, ON) hope it fits. Here's an Autozone link to the same one

https://www.autozone.com/cooling-heating-and-climate-control/hose-lower

I also put a spring in mine. Currently having a Corbin clamp issue, that's got nothing to do with that spring.

Mark_B

Thanks very much for this.  You saved me a load of hassle.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

Jay Bee

Thought I'd check out RockAuto, sure looks like the first 4 are lower rad hoses. That Dayco 70780 is listed in there.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1970,challenger,5.6l+340cid+v8,1078433,cooling+system,radiator+hose,10068

anlauto

Quote from: Jay Bee on October 03, 2022, 09:10:44 AM
Thought I'd check out RockAuto, sure looks like the first 4 are lower rad hoses. That Dayco 70780 is listed in there.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/dodge,1970,challenger,5.6l+340cid+v8,1078433,cooling+system,radiator+hose,10068

Yea, that's where I got the Gates number too :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mark_B

Yea, I didn't look properly on the list, head in the clouds!

I've bought the Continental 60880, cut to size.

Thanks again.
Mark
www.dodgechallenger.uk

Banana

Do we really need the spring?

I read it was just there originally for the plant to vacuum fill the system with coolant.

I am having some over-heating issues in summer, so thought maybe the spring was needed to prevent hose collapse (the Mopar replacements do not some with spring).

Thoughts?

Jay Bee

Yea, that spring thing has been a debate that has been going on for years. I also read about that "vacuum fill" thing. I thought that since I was replacing the lower hose anyway, might as well throw a spring in there at the same time. I doubt I would have bothered otherwise since there's no overheating issue.

Banana

What was your source for the spring. Looks like from a Blue Oval parts source? Thanks

MOPAR MITCH

If its overheating, the hose will not "collapse"... it'll expand and want to blow apart.   I also recently replaced that lower hose... the spring has been discontinued by all aftermarket sources... was used only as an early OE item... for filling via vacuum.   Maybe... you can still find an old OE hose somewhere with the spring... if you really feel the need to have it.   Otherwise, you don't need it.

Jay Bee

Banana, it is a blue oval part from Virginia Classic Mustang. Since shipping to Canada was outrageous I picked a vendor that was the best value, had to buy 3 though.

Mopar Mitch, good info. Since I was replacing the hose anyway I thought, "what the hell". I wouldn't bother removing a good hose just to add a spring. PS, Rather than saying overheating I should have said issue.