Main Menu

making a engine test stand

Started by tparker, October 10, 2021, 08:29:45 PM

Previous topic Next topic

tparker

I was going to drop the motor in, but I'd hate to do that then have to pull it back out IF something went wrong on initial start. I figure I can check for leaks and other stuff. Plus It will be easier to start up with stock exhaust manifolds and then switch to headers after break in period if it is out of engine.

So I watched many youtube videos on making an engine stand. My approach is to use the engine stand and beef it up. Lengthen the front support and add two side supports connecting the front and rear wheel tubbing. And then add two supports to the engine mount ears. Anyone do this? Is this a BAD idea? Anyone do this successfully?

By the way, does anyone have the rough measurements of the fan to the radiator? Just want to make sure I get it in the right ball park.

Cuda Cody

I made my own and it was super helpful in breaking things in and finding any leaks before painting the engine and putting it in the car.  I made it adjustable so it was easy to move everything to fit any size engine.

larry4406

Incorporate the k-frame in the concept so the engine mounts with stock motor mounts. Then also use it to install engine from below?  Just spit balling here...

tparker

@Cuda Cody Nice. I almost went that route. I only need it once so I don't need one that fancy.

@larry4406 Might be cool for a good stand. But then I would have to build a lift too. LOL.