Main Menu

Measuring air breather to hood clearance

Started by blown motor, October 26, 2021, 08:58:28 AM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I've heard of putting play dough on the air breather and closing the hood to measure the clearance. Is there a better material to use or a better way of doing it?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Burdar

Just recently saw guys from Bitchin Rides use aluminum foil.  Wad it up into loose balls and place it on the air filter.  Then see how much it crushes.

70vert

I've used the play-dough method many times, works well. Then take a caliper to it if you want an actual measurement.
If you are worried about it sticking or marring a surface you can put wax paper on each side to prevent that.

bentpshrods

Talk about timing.  I finally got around to putting my six pack on Sunday. My first concern was will the air cleaner fit. Found the grand kids play doe and used it.. Worked great. FYI to all, at the highest point on air cleaner lid had 1"clearance, at the cross brace towards the back---3/4".   

Cudajason

whats wrong with Play Dough....I have used it too.

aluminum foil will work too.
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

jyotkc

I set up my phone inside the engine bay and took a video to see how much clearance i had.

dodj

Quote from: blown motor on October 26, 2021, 08:58:28 AM
I've heard of putting play dough on the air breather and closing the hood to measure the clearance. Is there a better material to use or a better way of doing it?
Yes there is. The better material is called tinfoil. Loosely ball it up. Place it on the air cleaner lid. Then close the hood.It doesn't spring back and it won't stick to anything.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

70 Top Banana

Yep, used both "tinfoil" and play-doh. Play-doh when the kids had some and it was not to hard to use. Ha.