Main Menu

Mechanical Fuel Pump Failure

Started by 71vert340, August 02, 2022, 03:12:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71vert340

What is with the fuel pumps over the last several years?  I installed a new stock mechanical fuel pump in my 74 Charger 360 in April and ran it several times using non-ethanol 89 octane gas. I went to start the car today and no fuel. I hooked a hose to the suction of the pump and poured gas into a jar with the hose in it and cranked the engine without firing. Won't pick up the fuel. This is the second new fuel pump I've had fail this year. What is everyone else doing for mechanical fuel pumps? I had this same problem with my old carburetor fed Broncos. using non-ethanol gas. I was replacing the fuel pumps every few months. Suggestions?
Terry W.

blown motor

Timely topic for me. I've been thinking of picking up one just to have on hand in case mine poops out on me some day. What brand did you buy and where from? My Charger has an Edelbrock mechanical pump. I don't know if it's the same as the others or any better. I guess it's time to do more research.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

71vert340

I think it was one from Autozone.
Terry W.

Mixup7071

It seem like when I use high performance fuel pump Edelbrock, Holley they barely lasted a year, got my last from O'Reilly's their top of line brand which I think is life time warranty, been on there six years no problem

71vert340

Mine is a Delphi from Autozone. I didn't do one check I would normally do before declaring the fuel pump dead. I was not getting gas in the carb. I had switched out carbs a couple of weeks ago but had never run this one. I pulled the pump for an outside test. It was pumping when removed. I checked the eccentric as my wife cranked the engine and it was doing its thing. I reinstalled the fuel pump and cranked the engine and no gas in carb. I then broke loose the fuel line at carb and fuel sprayed out of the loose fitting. The fuel bowl needle valve apparently is stuck shut. Plenty of fuel to carb. Just none in carb. I'll put the other TQ back on and figure out what's wrong with this one - yes, I rebuilt it with new floats, needle and seat. Hmm.
Terry W.

B5fourspeed

Scooter

Honestly don't know if the crap new gas is eating them or the pumps are just garbage. I fired up my Fairlane to run it a few minutes before I took off to Florida.. it's been on the side yard unhhappy while I put the top end back on my 360LA and was needing some run time. Fired right up... popped the hood... puddle of gas on top of the fuel pump. That pump is not more than 3 years old and no more than 3k miles. I replaced the pump on my challenger 2 years ago as well. I usually prefer Carter but none seem to last any more. Wondering if it's worth the additional cost to get one of those Edelbrock's ?

Brads70

I've been running a Mallory electric pump for over 10 years now with no issues. I did buy a rebuild kit in case I needed it but so far so good. Not for the concourse  restoration types but for regular drivers...?
Holley electric is VERY loud, Mallory is much quieter, ran a return line and regulator also....

Fern

I got one from Mancini Racing last year, still going strong.
I thing it was a Carter?