Main Menu

727 Valve Body bolts - any reason they do not have washers?

Started by moparroy, April 14, 2021, 06:13:35 PM

Previous topic Next topic

moparroy

Just finishing up the refresh on my 727 for the Cuda. I noticed the 10 valve body mounting bolts have done a bit of a number on the bottom of the valve body. I believe this car was a bracket racer in a past life and suspect the tranny has been apart a few times. I seem to recall those 10 bolts do not have washers on them (pan is currently loose fitted on the case so I need to remove to see them for sure). That would explain some of the wear into the aluminum valve body base. Is there a reason they do not have washers to smooth the interface to AL? Could I put washers on - might then loc-tite the bolts.
The wear on the valve body was also evidenced by weak screws in the valve body itself - several stretched on me - broke one. Will be replacing them all with new allen screws I think. Interesting the '74 manual says 35 inch pounds on all VB screws - the VB is actually a '71 and that manual says 28 on end plates and 35 on the 17 assembly screws. The end plate screws necked out on my around 30.

Chryco Psycho

Sure couldn't hurt to use a thin flat washer against the alum body .