Main Menu

More new cam ???

Started by bentpshrods, August 11, 2018, 03:53:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bentpshrods

My simple I'm just going to replace the cam project (Lunatti Voodoo) is becoming a major PIA.  Last month I took a Friday off from work so I would have a nice 3 day thrash to get the motor done for a local car show I really like. I was to pick the heads up from the machine shop that Thursday. I get a call from said machine shop that day that he could not finish putting the heads together because in the complete cam kit I bought, Lunatti had put 1 -2 groove keeper into the package of 4 groove valve keepers that I needed. And they are a special 10* retainer they use. The machine shop had 6 and 8*/4 groove but not 10.  So after a 1  hour phone call to Lunatti--back to summitt racing --back to Lunnati ect. they sent me a large box with 1 4 groove which arrived 5 days later.  So much for my deadline. Then vacation came so I'm just getting back on this. ( rant over ) So I'm putting the cam in and as I am putting the thrust plate on (340) the bolt with the hole thru it to oil the chain has the head break off.    :headbang:   My question is do I really need this special bolt in or can I just leave it out. I suppose I can go to home depot and get a bolt and try to drill it.  On installing brand new hydraulic lifters is it a good idea to soak them in oil to kinda pump them up a bit or not.  Or will pre oiling the motor be enough to do a start up.  Thanks Doug

Chryco Psycho

drilling a replacement bolt should be easy enough to do , the hole doesn't have to be excessively large .
I just let the lifters pump up with engine oil pressure , soaking them will not accomplish much