Main Menu

340 valve job difficulty question

Started by Cuda1970, June 18, 2021, 04:10:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Cuda1970

Hello all, just wanted to get a feel for what the difficulty level is on replacing valves in a 340. The motor is currently running very strong but I am getting oil in the exhaust and am figuring the seals are worn. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

JS29

The valve seals can be changed with out removing the head. they make a tool for that, You must use compressed air as well.  :alan2cents:

Cudajason

Quote from: Cuda1970 on June 18, 2021, 04:10:36 AM
Hello all, just wanted to get a feel for what the difficulty level is on replacing valves in a 340. The motor is currently running very strong but I am getting oil in the exhaust and am figuring the seals are worn. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Changing the valves and changing the Valve SEALS are two different jobs.

The valve seals can be done in an afternoon as long as you have an air compressor and a valve spring compressor.

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

oldmoparbuff

In my younger days before I had an Air compressor I changed seals on a Pontiac firebird.
I used a length of rope pushed in through spark plug hole. Only use enough rope to prevent valve dropping into cylinder.
Be damn sure to leave a tail of rope with a knot sticking out of the spark plug hole.
I used a natural fiber rope, not nylon, to minimize cylinder wall damage.
Didn't seem so sketchy at the time.
:)

Mrbill426

I remember that trick  :yes:

Quote from: oldmoparbuff on June 18, 2021, 10:38:21 AM
In my younger days before I had an Air compressor I changed seals on a Pontiac firebird.
I used a length of rope pushed in through spark plug hole. Only use enough rope to prevent valve dropping into cylinder.
Be damn sure to leave a tail of rope with a knot sticking out of the spark plug hole.
I used a natural fiber rope, not nylon, to minimize cylinder wall damage.
Didn't seem so sketchy at the time.
:)