Main Menu

Moving the springs inboard & using a B body housing....

Started by 1 Wild R/T, June 06, 2017, 09:12:16 AM

Previous topic Next topic

1 Wild R/T

First time I did this was back in the 80's... It's a great swap.... My buddy has wanted to do it for years but since Dr Diff supposedly sells a kit I'd told him just buy the kit it's easier..... Well I've been watching Cass' site off & on now for about four years, it seems like the kits are never in stock.....  So I guess we gotta go "Old School" again....   The car will be done later today...

Challenger in NC

Nice job. I wonder why Dr. Diff's are constantly out of stock? Mancini Racing has the kit that is similar to the one you are fabricating with the offset shackles, but a little pricier at $223.

RUNCHARGER

1978! 67 Dana 60. It's a great swap.
Sheldon

Cuda Cody

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Challenger in NC on June 06, 2017, 09:28:42 AM
Nice job. I wonder why Dr. Diff's are constantly out of stock? Mancini Racing has the kit that is similar to the one you are fabricating with the offset shackles, but a little pricier at $223.

Be nice if Mancini would tell you how much the offset is... 

These are 1" per side... Bolt them in & drop a B body housing & axle shafts in the car & your done.... The springs move in 1" per side, the tire moves in 3/4" per side... 295's get lost in the extra space...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on June 06, 2017, 09:36:35 AM
1978! 67 Dana 60. It's a great swap.

I knew I wasn't the first... Just surprised how easy it is/was & how well it works...

Burdar

QuoteI wonder why Dr. Diff's are constantly out of stock?

I think he makes them himself.  He sells a lot of them and runs out quickly.  He has a lot on his plate and it takes him a little while to make more.  His A-body kit was out of stock so I called and asked him how long it would be until he had more.  He said he would probably have time to make more in a couple weeks.  A couple weeks later, the website showed they were available again. 

Challenger in NC

Quote from: Burdar on June 06, 2017, 09:49:16 AM
QuoteI wonder why Dr. Diff's are constantly out of stock?

I think he makes them himself.  He sells a lot of them and runs out quickly.  He has a lot on his plate and it takes him a little while to make more.  His A-body kit was out of stock so I called and asked him how long it would be until he had more.  He said he would probably have time to make more in a couple weeks.  A couple weeks later, the website showed they were available again. 

OK. I thought about buying a set from him at one point but decided to wait and see how my original 8-3/4 worked out. Neat modification though.

1 Wild R/T

I think he would be wise to find a fab shop that could produce batches of them....  Maybe 25 or 50 sets at a time... Yes you'll tie up some capitol in stocking parts but once you do setup 50 parts doesn't take much more time than 5 parts.....

moparcar

Perhaps the 1" kits will still be made. He told me about a month ago that he will no longer be making the 1.5" offset kits. Too bad, they were nice.
Wes

Cudakiller70

Nice fab work! Somehow missed this thread, runcharger mentioned it on another thread.

xx88man

Keep yer foot in it

GrandpaKevin

Excellent work!
I wish I could fabricate like that.

If you're going to start mass producing them don't forget to build some with longer front hangers to use with Super Stock springs.

I installed a 1967 B body rear end in my wife's Challenger with Dr. Diff's kit, very easy install.
The hardest parts were trimming the rear valance support brackets to clear the offset rear hangers and bending the factory sway bar to fit.

Rev-It-Up

Quote from: GrandpaKevin on June 14, 2017, 11:38:45 AM
Excellent work!
I wish I could fabricate like that.

If you're going to start mass producing them don't forget to build some with longer front hangers to use with Super Stock springs.

I installed a 1967 B body rear end in my wife's Challenger with Dr. Diff's kit, very easy install.
The hardest parts were trimming the rear valance support brackets to clear the offset rear hangers and bending the factory sway bar to fit.

Welcome to the forum @GrandpaKevin !  You're kind of teasing us with that peep show pic of your wife's challenger!  :haha:  When you get a minute, maybe you could start an thread on the introduction section and show us some full shots of your cars and tell us a little about them.  Glad you joined us!
Rev-It-Up

GrandpaKevin

Thanks for the welcome.
Very nice looking site!

I was just given this website link today but from seeing familiar names in the members list many know me from the other Mopar sites and are probably tired of seeing and hearing about my E-bodies. :wave:

Here are some before and after pics of the wife's car with the B body rear end installed, the bottom after pic shows the rear tires are now nicely tucked under the rear quarters.
The car was restored in the 80's and the Centerline wheels have a terrible offset that caused the tires to hang out of the quarter panels, the fix back then was extra leafs in the springs to jack the car up super high in the rear.
I wanted to get rid of jacked up, rough riding rear springs but try to keep the old school wheels and the narrower B body rear end fixed it perfectly.
I removed the previous rear springs and replaced them with some +1 ESPO ones.

Over the years I have collected a variety of different wheel/tire combos which eventually I will be experimenting with to see just how much tire I can fit under the car, pictured are just a few....

I'll post on the introduction site when I get a chance.