Main Menu

My blue motor update. / new pics.

Started by bentpshrods, July 01, 2018, 06:59:00 PM

Previous topic Next topic

bentpshrods

Why does the simplest ideas always seem to escalate with these projects.     :looney:    One thing always leads to another.  It started out that I was going to take my grill out and to change things up a bit, paint it back to body color. With the front end opened up I thought maybe just pull the radiator and with everything out of the way it would be easy enough to put in a new cam and lifters. I have the big purple shaft in it now. Sounds great but I have no low end torque.  Was'nt planning on pulling the motor, but the more I look at it and saw a few things MORE I should do ----well out came the motor.  This way I could check out the bottom end and reseal everything. I also realized I should replace the original springs with the bigger cam I wanted so the simple cam and lifters turns into a completer cam kit. Went with a Lunatti Voodoo cam.  After calling Lunatti and asking about springs I am then told I need to have my heads machined to fit the new springs.  WHAT!!!!   So now I have to find a reputable machine shop. After asking around I talk to a couple of shops to get an idea on cost ect, only to find out most all shops around here are booked about 1-2  months out.  CRAP.  Oh Well--no turning back now. The cam kit was on back order for a bit so I got on the list at a machine shop.  And since I am changing everything up I also decided to paint my motor back to it's original corporate blue color.  I am not building a complete oem resto--but I wanted something close to stock looking.  So the research began.  Like everything else there's a lot of different ideas. I had summit throw in a can of Mopar Performance blue with my order.  Was looking at Totally Auto for paint but it was pretty pricey for spray cans.  Settled on a pint of paint from Roger Gibson/Frank Badalson  restorations. It's a nice PPG acrylic enamel paint so it also needed a reducer(not included). So off to the local PPG auto paint store. Turns out they don't carry this line of PPG /shop line series.  Great---so now I am going to try the reducer that I will use for my grill paint and hope it works.  Plus to do it right I bought a quart of some DP50 epoxy primer and catalyst.  Once again the simple idea of maybe a couple of cheap cans of rattle paint make over has blown into a 10X the price result. Got to do it right I guess.  We all know doing a mopar on the cheap is a foreign concept.         :o       Out of all of this ---here's a comparison of the two colors. A big difference.  Tried to show a bit of the original color but it doesn't come out to clearly.   And a final question---Is it a good idea to clear coat it. Not sure if the heat will effect it in a bad way or not.   Will post pics after its painted.   

autoxcuda

No clear coat

You could prime the motor. That gives a consistent color over the different color base materials: cast aluminum, cast iron, stamped steel
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

71-440

I know how you feel buddy.
Look at it this way, if everything went as planned life would be boring....lol
Joe

ToxicWolf

Quote from: 71-440 on July 01, 2018, 07:21:11 PM
I know how you feel buddy.
Look at it this way, if everything went as planned life would be boring....lol

Or ... If everything went as planned, it wouldn't be Mopar.  :rofl:

RUNCHARGER

I dust some primer on engines as well. yes, your story is typical. You will feel so much better about the car in the end though.
Sheldon

Topcat

I used VHT high temp primer on my clean block first.
Then a light 3M scuff pad on it.

Then sprayed Roger Gibson paint with a jamb gun over it.

Sticks like glue now. No peeling ever.

Dakota

Quote from: bentpshrods on July 01, 2018, 06:59:00 PM
   Why does the simplest ideas always seem to escalate with these projects.     :looney:    One thing always leads to another. 

Been there.   Doing that.   And I have an E-Bodies.org t-shirt to prove it.    :drinkingbud:

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
We have all been there but if you took short cuts you would not be happy deep down & would be redoing it later again , you will be happy with the end result this way & when you are happy the cost becomes irrelevant over time anyway .  :twothumbsup:

Rich G.

I was always told to figure out what you think it's going to cost in the end and then triple that and you should be close! Oh how true.

76orangewagon

Thanks for the picture comparison.... I was leaning toward the corporate Blue paint from Frank Badalson. Definitely wasn't going the rattle can route now I can see just how close it really is. 

bentpshrods

Got the motor done finally. I used the paint from Frank Badelson (PPG acrylic enamel). After looking at a lot of different blues this one seems pretty close to original.  Getting closer to getting this thing running.    :banana:

Topcat

Looks good.

The timing tape:

Was wondering what one you're using"
I never had good luck with them sticking on for good.

They eventually peel/fly off.

Cuda Cody

anlauto

I'm a little confused ...you're building a modified car yet you're pulling your hair out over getting the correct shade of blue ? :huh: Looking at the final product...who would ever suggest the "blue is not exactly correct" Correct for what ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

It must have been a few days ago when the engine fell off the stand , Glad it missed your foot & did not do significant damage at least