Main Menu

Need help tweaking my clutch and gas pedal

Started by dave73, June 14, 2017, 07:35:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

dave73

I have 2 things going on I'm looking for some advice on how to make them better:

Clutch pedal - stock pedal/z bar setup with a McLeod single disc clutch. When I press in the pedal, the first third or so has no resistance. Clutch catches fine when it reaches around 2/3 the way down. Sometimes the pedal won't return all the way back, that's the biggest annoyance. I have a spring between the fork and bell housing - maybe too loose or too tight? Suggestions?

Gas pedal - stock setup, when pumping the pedal to start, it's somewhat soft but feels good. Once the car is running, the pedal is super stiff. Where should I start; carb spring, throttle cable?

Maybe separate but might be related to the carb spring, after the car is warmed up and shut down, it diesels off. Maybe carb spring related as well? (I'll start a new topic on this one once I figure out the 2 above)

Chryco Psycho

lengthen the adjuster rod so it pushes the pedal all the back so it will over center pulling the pedal to the top , if the big spring is removed it will not do this anymore
I guess the fist question is - is it a 3 finger or diaphragm style  :drunk:
You must have 2 throttle return springs on the throttle at all times ,does the throttle change feel under the hood when running , having it running should not change the pedal pressure , you may want to use a pair of lighter springs to change the feel or mount them differently .

Cuda Cody

Maybe i missed it, but what engine / carb are you running?  What is your timing set at?

I run 2 springs on some of my throttles because I like the feel of a strong fast return pedal.

dave73

Never messed with the adjuster rod, to be honest, not sure the part you are referring to. Are you referring to the rod between the z bar and clutch? I don't recall that having any adjustment? Is there a different part and how do you lengthen it?

Picture below is my current spring setup. I have a mancini bracket on the backside of the engine with a spring from the carb to that bracket. I had a spring to a bracket on the front side of the motor but it felt wayyyy too stiff. Where should I mount the 2nd bracket and I guess I'll try to get a less stiff spring than the one I currently have.

Engine is a 440 with holley 850 carb.

Cuda Cody

Looks like the throttle return spring is completely missing?  right?

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 15, 2017, 08:21:28 AM
Looks like the throttle return spring is completely missing?  right?
It's on the lower part of carb lever going back to cable bracket. Everything looks good from here.  That's how I run mine.

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 14, 2017, 08:18:58 PM
lengthen the adjuster rod so it pushes the pedal all the back so it will over center pulling the pedal to the top

This is the adjuster he is referring to. It's called the fork rod.

dave73

I have the same spring setup as Shane, should I try a softer spring? Where does the 2nd spring go?

I have the fork rod almost maxed out already...

Shane Kelley

There should be a smaller spring inside the bigger spring. You need to unhook the cable from the carb and operate the throttle by hand under the hood. That will tell you if the issue is in the cable or the carb. Your cable might be binding for some reason. I just can't see the carb being to issue. But process of elimination will tell you. The other thought would be to look at the throttle pedal and see if something is interfering with it. Look up where the cable hooks to the pedal arm. 

Chryco Psycho

the clutch pedal should have 3/4" - 1 inch of freeplay where the pedal should move before  the pedal starts to feel pressure from the clutch the lower "fork rod " is where you adjust the play.
Typical spring sets have an inner & outer spring connected to the same place . I prefer to place them towards the back as Shanes picture shows .

dave73

Added a second spring as suggested. He throttle cable metal sleeve has slight bevel at the end, should that be flush against the back of the bracket or is it ok as is? How right should the clamp be that is holding down the throttle cable? It was pretty darn tight so I loosened it a little bit

Chryco Psycho

the bevel has no proper position but you may not be getting full throttle with it that far forward , so have someone sit in the car & push the pedalto the floor ,then check to see if the carb can be opened further if so you need to slide the cable back until you are getting full throttle .
The second spring is for safety , if one spring breaks you still have one to close the throttle !

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on June 16, 2017, 01:05:11 PM
the bevel has no proper position but you may not be getting full throttle with it that far forward , so have someone sit in the car & push the pedalto the floor ,then check to see if the carb can be opened further if so you need to slide the cable back until you are getting full throttle .
The second spring is for safety , if one spring breaks you still have one to close the throttle !
:iagree: