Main Menu

Neutral Safety Switch- Issues ?

Started by MONC, July 10, 2023, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic Next topic

MONC

Initially was having issues with car not starting in Park.
Replaced Neutral Safety switch, problem solved - but now realize I don't have reverse lights.
Put old NSS back in and reverse lights work, but car won't turnover.
I tested both switches and get continuity between outer prongs.
Tested continuity of inner prong to case and get continuity.

What's going on here?
Do I have a NSS issue, or some other adjustment/diagnosis I need to make?

Thanks for replies!

Bullitt-

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Mrbill426

MONC

This paragraph? Am l going to have to drop the pan?

I got switch three working tonight after I drop the pan and look inside the transmission. Rooster comb positions were spot on with the NSS but only engine cranking and no reverse light. The pin at the reverse position was extended almost fully but may be just a hair shy for the internal of the switch to fully release to form the circuit. Instead of modifying the NSS further, I use a Dremel bit to shave off more plastic from the rooster comb insulator at the reverse position. The final picture after the modification shows a very small gap between the pin and the insulator. Also note how much the white plastic plunger is depressed. Check your new NSS with your old one and test the switch first before installing as it might save you some pain. Sorry for the long post. Hope this help others

Mrbill426

Shouldn't have to.  Just as noted, compare your new switch to the old switch.  The photos may help you too.

Quote from: MONC on July 10, 2023, 02:09:37 PM
This paragraph? Am l going to have to drop the pan?

MONC

Ended up doing what that one poster said first and get a NSS from Autozone. And guess what. It worked!
Part CR 401
Thanks guys!