Main Menu

neutral safety switch

Started by chargerdon, May 09, 2020, 01:29:12 PM

Previous topic Next topic

chargerdon

can anyone recommend a brand/part number for the Neutral safety switch to put on my 727/a518...   

Mine quit working, and i tried a Power Torque TS102 from Oreillys for $7.99, and it came in a BWD box.    It works for the Neutral but dosen't operate the reverse lights!!  I tried two of them... Neither worked.   Problem is that if you only screw it in lightly, it will work but leak...  Tighten it down and it quits working...   Its like the threads are too long.   PS...Exact same part from Advance Auto costs 16.99   

Ive looked at Autozone, and theirs is called Duralast...   Ship to home only for $16.99

Rock Auto carries 3...   first is WVE 1S4937 for $7.30 plus $4 shipping..
second is Standard Motor Parts NS11 for $12.12 plus $4 shipping
or Standard Motor Parts NS11 T  (economy line) for $9.09 plus $4 shipping.

One thing i noticed on the two i got from Oreillys is that the part for the wrench is at least 3/4 of an inch long, whereas the one i originally had in the transmission (which broke), the part that holds the wrench is a lot shorter..kinda.   All of the pictures for the rest of them all show the long wrench part.   

JonH

Does it use a gasket? If so double up... I would use Standard Motor Products premium if you are gonna try another 1 :alan2cents:

7212Mopar

1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

dodj

Maybe bring the original with you and try to find one that matches in dimensions? Length of the plastic 'plunger' to the thread shoulder being the most important I believe.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Topcat

Call Brewers Performance

CS2947858 CLUTCH PEDAL SAFETY SWITCH 1970 E-BODY, REBUILT---REBUILDABLE CORE REQUIRED   
Product ID: CS2947858

2947858 CORE REQUIRED PRIOR TO SHIPMENT $149.95 EXCHANGE ONLY, $20 ADDITIONAL CHARGE IF CLOCK SPRING IS BROKEN. Restored/rebuilt clutch pedal safety switch for 1970 E-body models (will also work on 1971-74 E & B-body).

anlauto

He's referring to the switch in the transmission, not at the clutch pedal...I agree, I would try Brewers for both switches  :twothumbsup:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Katfish

I'd like to know what works too.
Mine has been intermittent and now the reverse completely stopped working.

7212Mopar

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-p5007747

This one is the short hex version from Mopar listed on Summit. It is a 3 pins version but I have not tried this one.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

chargerdon

This shouldnt be this difficult !!   

I ordered from NAPA MPE NS6562SB Mileage Plus Electrical.   Reason being that in the pictures is shows only 3 threads...   so the goose neck part should be i hope shorter...   Part of my problems is that im running the 4sp A518 auto, and of course when you look up parts all are for either the 904 or 727 for a 74 challenger. 

It comes in on the 12'th, so ill give it a try.. 

JonH

Well now I have to ask. Why would you order a part for a car from 1974, when the transmission is clearly from a newer vehicle? You need the switch for the trans. you have, not the car you have.....

JS29

Quote from: JonH on May 11, 2020, 03:03:42 PM
Well now I have to ask. Why would you order a part for a car from 1974, when the transmission is clearly from a newer vehicle? You need the switch for the trans. you have, not the car you have.....
:iagree: :yes:

Katfish

Great point, I just checked Rock Auto and the NSS switch for a 518 is different than 727.
Time to order up the newer part.

JS29

You should wright down any modifications and the year of what vehicle they came off from so you don't have this problem in the future.  :yes:

Plumcrazy72

Last spring my stopped working as well, I got 7 different switches and none of the would function properly. Exact same issue you are saying, either leak or don't work. A friend of mine found an original over the winter he said bench tests good, so going to give that a shot. The one I used last year didn't leak, only started in neutral and park, but no reverse lights. I feel your pain on this topic
1972 340 PCP
2015 Dodge Journey Crossroad
2020 Ram Rebel

chargerdon

Quote from: JS29 on May 12, 2020, 06:47:52 AM
You should wright down any modifications and the year of what vehicle they came off from so you don't have this problem in the future.  :yes:

Well the NAPA switch didn't work either.   This is crazy....for the record i still have the 904 transmission sitting on the floor, and tried each of the switches i bought from oreilly's and now from Napa in it as well.   AND THEY DO NOT WORK... 

The problem is that when they are full screwed in to engage the seal, their apparently in too far.  They DO WORK for Neutral and Park for the starter, but, not for reverse light.   If i back it out about 1 1/2 turns then it operates the reverse light as well...but...of course then it would leak !   

Ok, i then ordered the part basically an NS240 that shows on all web sites as correct for a 92 Dodge B100 van....   It has the shorter barrel for the wrench...hoping it will work...but...it doesn't really make any sense !!   It will be in later today !!