Main Menu

Oil leaks back

Started by Purepony, May 29, 2021, 06:46:46 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Purepony

Thank you guys I will order these on Tuesday as soon as they open
Hopefully this finally puts an end to my dilemma

JS29

I agree with JonH about confirming your PCV system is functioning properly.  :yes:

Purepony

I have a breather on the pass side and a pcv valve on the driver

Anything i can do to verify it's working as it should ?

Sorry bad pic

FSHTAIL

I've just used RTV and put it on semi thick...    I'll put the pan in place and snug it up just to the point it starts to ooze out all around evenly.       Then I wait about 30 minutes from that point then torque it all down.          I'll let it sit for a solid day or so before doing anything and I seem to have a flawless track record with it. 

Oem to aftermarket pans, it's seemed it's worked out well for me.

1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Purepony

I know oil travels down but there's oil on the driver side valve cover, the steering shaf, even some on the master cylinder, and in the crossmember

Any ideas on what' could be happening ?

I drive the cat and park it on idle and only see it come from the oil pan but how would it get up ?

Thanks all
Here's some pics

JonH

Well since no one has jumped in...How old is this motor? It is beginning to look like you have a blow by problem. Very hard to try to diagnose from pictures and descriptions. But you have oil in places it shouldn't be. Misting around valve cover openings, drips being blown around by the fan, etc. If your pcv is working and you still have these issues it leads me to believe you have excessive crankcase pressure pushing oil out wherever it can. So is this motor in good condition?

Purepony

Well I bought the car like this but it was running pretty strong
Should I do a compression test ?
Psi shows 45-55 after warm up
Engines was fine until I swapped the water pump, added new breather and added new belts

IT did leak oil before but but not as bad

FE5CUDA

Brake Kleen the engine really good, I would highly suggest putting die in the oil and run the motor that way you'll find exactly where it's leaking especially if your chasing a leak on the front of the motor.  That's the first thing I do instead of guessing where the leak is and definitely run the windage tray, it's what others are calling a "gasket".

Here's just one kit available.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Leak-Detector-Kit-Durable-Multifunctional-Automotive-Air-Conditioning-Repair-Tools-LED-UV-Flashlight-Protective-Glasses-Set/552761853?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=101058747&&adid=22222222227435907788&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=516631512392&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-1235108683600&wl5=9015391&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=357426046&wl11=online&wl12=552761853&veh=sem&gclid=CjwKCAjwtdeFBhBAEiwAKOIy5zIVOZo-88GBseskVViMafvMaMAdZgUIo0OqfIk6MTK6_UvHkDomnBoCRZMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

anlauto

Time for a 392 Gen III Hemi swap :burnout:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Purepony

It's the pan here's a pic of a drop leaking  out of the pan while cars running

This time I'm doing the timing cover abd new oil pan with that gasket abd I'll see how it goes
Thanks for the suggestion on the kit though, wal mart does have the lowest prices on oil n auto stuff

Chryco Psycho

To test the PCV you should be able to pull out the valve from the cover & it should rattle & running it will have vacuum pulling through it .
You could have a blow by problem putting too much compression pressure into the crankcase , a compression test would be a good Idea .
Most of the leaks near your steering box could be just oil coming out of the dipstick , also cast alum valve covers are hard to seal as the covers do not flex & the heads is never flat .

Purepony

Thank you for the reply
I'm overreacting because it wasn't leaking like this before

Also I ordered the oil pan alan suggested but they sold me the one without the windage  tray
Was that good bad ?

anlauto

I suggested the oil pan gasket that includes a windage tray as all one unit, these are fairly new to the market (last couple of years) and are the best thing going in my experience, specially since your 383 didn't come with a factory windage tray. If you order something and they said it didn't include the tray, they I think you're onto the wrong part. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Purepony

I told the guy I wanted the part you suggested and he asked for what motor because I guess there's one for a stock 383 and a stroker one. I said non stroker and asked if I had a windage tray and I said no so he said I needed that one and it's the same material as the one you suggested

I'll call again tomorrow and tell him to send the windage tray one damn

anlauto

It should be the right one....maybe..... If you said "no you don't have a windage tray currently" then he will sell you this gasket with the windage tray...you can't used both...maybe, if he knows what's he's selling... :haha: