Main Menu

Opinions, big block 727 trans. with aux. cooler, bypass cooler on radiator?

Started by GrandpaKevin, May 03, 2018, 04:59:58 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

I'm planning on swapping the factory 26" radiator to a new aluminum one.

Current setup is transmission lines to radiator, out of radiator to aux. cooler then back to transmission.

I was thinking of just going from the trans. to aux. cooler then back to the trans.

Mild fresh 440 Six Pack engine with fresh rebuilt 727 trans., mild HP 11" converter and 3.23 gear

This is a warm, dry weather driver only.

I've gotten suggestions both ways.

What is everyone's opinion?

Thanks.

Chryco Psycho

I believe if you install a temp gauge & do not restrict the line with the probe you will find it may run too cold with both coolers

Rich G.

I have a big block in my street rod pickup with just an auxiliary cooler and have had no problems even on a 500 mi trip.

RUNCHARGER

Great way to do it. I have done that many times, I don't think the radiator trans coolers do much at all.
Sheldon

gumby

As Chryco said GET A GAUGE. Too cold is as bad as too hot. Don't "guesstimate" it. Know for sure.

gumby

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on May 03, 2018, 06:52:55 PM
Great way to do it. I have done that many times, I don't think the radiator trans coolers do much at all.

YES THEY DO! They were factory designed to keep the trans at a certain operating level! Get a gauge, don't "guesstimate"! Too cold is as bad as too hot.
They were designed to operate at a certain temperature.

Katfish

Quote from: gumby on May 03, 2018, 07:04:58 PM
As Chryco said GET A GAUGE. Too cold is as bad as too hot. Don't "guesstimate" it. Know for sure.

I've always heard heat is the #1 killer of tranny's, what's "too" cold?

nsmall

GrandpaKevin, I got noting for you besides nice rides Grandpa!  Great shot!!!

gumby

Need to at least boil condensation off. Some combo's won't let you do that. There are all kinds of differing opinions, if you google them.

Maybe a big waste of time?

Strawdawg

If you do enough reading, you will find some concerns that in very cold, short drives, water may condense into the system.  In warmer climates, there is no concern and the biggest external cooler and no internal cooler will be a good choice.

On my cars with aluminum radiators, I run the larger stacked plate B&M unit and have been doing so for years.  I live in west Texas and I am not subject to Arctic weather conditions.  If I am, I am staying home and griping about it :D

Drive it and enjoy it.
Steve