Main Menu

Pedal adjustment?

Started by Valkman, May 11, 2017, 10:17:26 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Valkman

Is there a way to adjust the clutch and/or brake pedals so they line up?

The clutch pedal seems out of whack, it has a large detent before it ingages? Is sometime wrong?

Cuda Cody

Do you know what type of clutch you have?  Does it use the original factory spring on the pedal?

Valkman

It's multiple finger type clutch,  and i don't know much about the pedals. I do know that with the clutch rod disconnected the pedal spring pulls the pedal to the floor when you push on it.

Cuda Cody

@Chryco Psycho  should be able to help.  Some clutches you don't need the spring and others you do.  I think it's a one or the other situation.    :notsure:

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Valkman on May 11, 2017, 10:42:00 AM
It's multiple finger type clutch,  and i don't know much about the pedals. I do know that with the clutch rod disconnected the pedal spring pulls the pedal to the floor when you push on it.
That's called a diaphragm pressure plate if it has a bunch of little fingers right beside each other. The big three finger ones are called Borg and Beck. If you do for sure have the diaphragm type you need to remove the large spring on the pedal assembly. Then you can adjust the linkage push rod where it pushes on the clutch fork. It's the only adjustable part in the linkage. That will allow you to put the clutch pedal where it's even with the brake pedal.   

Valkman

Thanks Shane!

It is a diaphragm type clutch, I'll try adjusting that rod I think that might do it. Any trick to getting that spring off? is it hard to do?

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Valkman on May 11, 2017, 12:27:06 PM
Thanks Shane!

It is a diaphragm type clutch, I'll try adjusting that rod I think that might do it. Any trick to getting that spring off? is it hard to do?
Yes. Not horrible but still a bitch. Pry bar or big screwdriver and pop it loose from the end. There may be some other way but that's the method I use. Be careful and not ruin your clutch safety switch if you have one. It's sitting right by the area your in.

Bullitt-

I recall someone stuffing washers in between the coils wile the pedal was pushed in
so when they released the pedal the spring stayed long enough to lift off.. 
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Cuda Cody

That sounds like an awesome trick!  Might have to try that next time.   :slapme5:

Quote from: Bullitt- on May 11, 2017, 02:32:22 PM
I recall someone stuffing washers in between the coils wile the pedal was pushed in
so when they released the pedal the spring stayed long enough to lift off..

HP_Cuda

I believe it was Neil that said to use the penny/washer trick
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

Personally I would leave the spring in place & toss the clutch ,make sure you have a rev limiter when the clutch peal stays on the floor  :idea:

jimynick

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 11, 2017, 05:34:49 PM
Personally I would leave the spring in place & toss the clutch ,make sure you have a rev limiter when the clutch peal stays on the floor  :idea:
I, also think you're right there buddy. I remember being in a few Chevies where that happened at high rpm when you tried to shift it. Mind your toes if you don't have either a rev limiter or really good reflexes.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Chryco Psycho

The pedal height will not lineup , you can shorten the rod & lower the pedal  but then you have no overcenter spring & the pedal pushes against the clutch constantly & you will lose the release  brg very shortly , also you may not have enough travel to fully release the clutch

Shane Kelley

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 11, 2017, 05:34:49 PM
The big over center pedal spring is what promotes that problem.  I have always ran the Centerforce clutches since the late 80's and never had it happen. It says right in the instructions to remove the spring or the pedal might not return.

The spring on the clutch fork keeps the bearing riding on the fingers all the time anyway so I'm not seeing why it would prematurely wear the bearing adjusting the linkage to align the pedals. Same amount of pressure on bearing. Your only using the linkage to set the pedal height. Puts no more pressure on bearing for pedal to be halfway down or at the top. Unless you leave the big spring on the pedals.

Chryco Psycho

Except I have had the pedl stay on the floor Without the heavy spring in place
Cforce are junk , I have had them last less than 4 days before they fail