Main Menu

Pics request, big block power steering pump, hose routing and steering box

Started by GrandpaKevin, July 04, 2017, 06:53:34 AM

Previous topic Next topic

GrandpaKevin

Does anyone have pics of the high and low pressure hoses for the power steering on a 440 using a Saginaw tombstone type pump.

Trying to figure out the correct way to connect and route the power steering hoses.

Does the high pressure hose come off the back of the pump and turn straight up then 180 back down by the battery tray and towards to steering box?

Does the hose connection at the steering box go over or under the oil dipstick tube?

Thanks.

anlauto

With a cooler or without ? Neither hose should be anywhere close to your dipstick  :clueless:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GrandpaKevin

Thanks for the pic Alan.

I should have mentioned I'm working with Hooker Comp. Headers, aftermarket dipstick tube and no PS cooler.

With the headers the dipstick tube has to come out away from the block (instead of up close with exhaust manifolds) and of course it was sitting right in front of where the hose screws into the steering box.
After some careful tweaking of the dipstick tube to a new location this is what I ended up with.

In your picture how does the high pressure hose clear the battery tray? Does the hose tuck under the tray?

Cuda Cody

Looks like you have it about as far away as you can get it.  Is there a way to insulate the PS line from the header heat?   :notsure:

GrandpaKevin

It might be the angle of the pic but I have a pretty good amount of clearance between the PS hose and the header and a shiny oil dipstick tube in-between the two.

GrandpaKevin

I apologize for all the questions, I converted this car from manual to power steering so I don't have a before and after or previous parts to refer to.

I rotated the high pressure hose on the pump so it goes under the battery tray then back to the steering box.

It definitely looks much cleaner, and has plenty of clearance, is this the way it is supposed to go?
Anyone see an issue doing it this way?

Thanks.