Main Menu

PICTURE NEEDED ASAP

Started by anlauto, April 17, 2017, 02:20:02 PM

Previous topic Next topic

anlauto

:takepicture: :takepicture: :takepicture:I need a clear picture of a FACTORY 1971 383 with a Holley 4bbl, choke side. :takepicture: :takepicture:

This choke is this picture seems to be pulling at a radical angle and my mechanic is having problems with it binding up and not operating at all. I'm trying to determine if it's the correct choke.

(the carb is just sitting on the engine in this picture) :takepicture:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cuda Cody

@ScottSmith_Harms  might be able to tell you what's going on?   :soshelp:   

Is there a chance the choke (insides guts) are backwards?  Looks like a really odd angle and does not appear to be correct so something has to be off.  :huh:   Do you have a choke number on it?  I can check when I get home from work and see if I have any others that we can compare it to.   :thinking:

anlauto

Scott is already in the loop....I was wondering if it's possible to take the arm "over center" and push it down the front instead of the back like it is. It was on the car working before, but with a different Holley carb.

I don't have the car here :pullinghair:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Cuda Cody

I'll be home in a few hours and take a look at what I have in my stash and see if I have anything that might help...   :thinking: 

From the photo the arm looks to be on the wrong side?   :huh:  That angle is way off, right?  Shouldn't it be more vertical?

anlauto

That's what I thought, but Kevin, the car's owner just sent me this of his 440 with a Holley :huh:

BFM_Cuda

Alan, your first photo is identical to my setup = 71 383/AT w/#4886 holley.

But... I'm not the original owner and its possible things were changed...   :dunno:

P.S. the choke housing has the Holley name on it also.

1ownr

Charlie changed out to an electric choke, sorry can't help

judy

Cuda Cody

Now that I'm thinking about it, I had a 383 once that I could not get the choke to work right.  Drove me nuts.  I'm eager to get home and see what I can do to help.

HP_Cuda

As I remember my old Cuda with that choke setup only worked properly when the travel was setup straight up and down.

That's the reason I disconnected the choke from my Holley.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

ScottSmith_Harms

Hi guys,

While the carburetors themselves are fairly simple and straight forward, the items that surround them can be confusing. They were a complicated mess in the 1970-71 model years with different list numbers for nearly every option combo. They had many small variables like chokes, pull offs, idle solenoids, and other small details. Not everything is explained in detail in the service manual either, and to make matters worse, very few reference original examples exist. also, these Holleys were a bit problematic when new, many were replaced early on so its really difficult to gather new/accurate info. If anyone has a survivor Holley equipped 1970-71 383 car please send detail pics to me if you can.

*Alan and I spoke tonight, we'll be staying in touch to ensure that he gets everything up and running.

SteveG

From the 1971 factory service manual

Cuda Cody

You rock @ScottSmith_Harms    :clapping:  Thanks for all you do for us. 

Quote from: ScottSmith_Harms on April 17, 2017, 06:31:56 PM
Hi guys,

While the carburetors themselves are fairly simple and straight forward, the items that surround them can be confusing. They were a complicated mess in the 1970-71 model years with different list numbers for nearly every option combo. They had many small variables like chokes, pull offs, idle solenoids, and other small details. Not everything is explained in detail in the service manual either, and to make matters worse, very few reference original examples exist. also, these Holleys were a bit problematic when new, many were replaced early on so its really difficult to gather new/accurate info. If anyone has a survivor Holley equipped 1970-71 383 car please send detail pics to me if you can.

*Alan and I spoke tonight, we'll be staying in touch to ensure that he gets everything is up and running.

Cuda Cody

Great photo @SteveG   Is there a way we can find out the choke part number that it would have used originally?    :thinking:

Quote from: SteveG on April 17, 2017, 06:48:57 PM
From the 1971 factory service manual

mopar jack

my 71 Road runner early build of August 1970. Mostly stock with 155,000 miles. I'm second owner since 1994.

Cuda Cody

Both the factory photo and the photo @mopar jack  posted both look to have a slight bend in the rod.     :takealook:  Alan, could you take a photo from the side of your choke?  Does the rod look straight?