Main Menu

Pinion seal replacement

Started by fireguyfire, May 08, 2019, 08:47:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

fireguyfire

I have the carrier out on the bench and am fully going through the rear axle on my 73 8 3/4" sure grip.
I need to replace the pinion seal and was hoping to do it on the bench. I do have a rotational torque wrench.
I was hoping someone would walk me through the best way to replace the pinion seal and check the backlash with the carrier out [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chryco Psycho

There will be a casting # on the case , usually 741 , 742 or 489 , the 489 is the one that uses the crush sleeve , you can makr the pinion & nut & remove the nut & try to put it back in exactly the same position But this often will not work , as above the best way is to replace the crush sleeve with a spacer & shims but you need to have exactly the right shim thickness

fireguyfire

My case is a 741 so I don't have to worry about a crush sleeve

Chryco Psycho

Great well I would still mark the pinion & nut so you can line it back up , , the torque spec is about 240 lbs
Back las I measure with a dial indicator in 3-4 place around the ring gear if it is quiet now you want it set to the same backlash

1 Wild R/T

Just changing the seal shouldn't effect backlash...  As long as it's not a 489 it shouldn't be a problem, torque to spec.....

fireguyfire

[emoji106]
Perfect; I'll change the seal and re torque to 240 foot pounds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk