Main Menu

Pinion Snubber Clearance ?

Started by Racer57, August 03, 2020, 08:07:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Racer57

70 Cuda     8 3/4  differential  HP383  5speed Tremec.

What is recommended clearance for rubber pinion snubber ?

My original wasn't doing any good, so I bought an adjustable one. It was too tall and I had to cut it down so theres no adjustment left, but it is still taller than factory.  Currently I have 1/2" clearance and it is doing its job with slight black rubber marks on body, without any sign of harming paint or bending the metal. I don't and will never drag race. Just occasional street stuff. Is it ok ?

Burdar

The adjustable pinion snubbers are a drag race ONLY item.  They limit the upward twist of the pinion to aid traction.  On the street, the stock snubber should not make contact with the floor under normal circumstances.  The rubber is there so the driveshaft doesn't slam into the floor if you go over a big bump or have the car heavily loaded.  They are a safety feature.  If your stock snubber wasn't making contact with the floor, then that's great.  You don't want it to under normal circumstances.  With a snubber set close to the floor, you are going to have a more harsh ride and over time, you'll beat up your floor pan from the constant impacts.

With the snubber set at 1/2" you are basically limiting your rear suspention travel to 1/2"  That's going to be a harsh ride.  Your snubber is hitting the underside on every bump.  That's not what a factory snubber was meant to do.

Racer57

Quote from: Burdar on August 03, 2020, 08:39:14 AM
The adjustable pinion snubbers are a drag race ONLY item.  They limit the upward twist of the pinion to aid traction.  On the street, the stock snubber should not make contact with the floor under normal circumstances.  The rubber is there so the driveshaft doesn't slam into the floor if you go over a big bump or have the car heavily loaded.  They are a safety feature.  If your stock snubber wasn't making contact with the floor, then that's great.  You don't want it to under normal circumstances.  With a snubber set close to the floor, you are going to have a more harsh ride and over time, you'll beat up your floor pan from the constant impacts.

With the snubber set at 1/2" you are basically limiting your rear suspension travel to 1/2"  That's going to be a harsh ride.  Your snubber is hitting the underside on every bump.  That's not what a factory snubber was meant to do.
You confirmed what I was feeling and prompted my post.  However, with the stock snubber I had bad wheel hop when I would dump the clutch and now I have none.  I don't want the expense/hassle of Caltracs or even traction bars etc, so whats the compromise ? Is there one ?

Brads70

First I'd make sure your shock is not worn out are are up to the task. Then I would simply buy some 1/4" flat stock and 3/8" grade 8 nuts and bolts to make some clamps for the front spring segment. Cheap and easy.....

I'd guess on a street car you would want 2-3" of snubber clearance?  :notsure:

Burdar

:iagree:

You're shocks are either worn out or not up to the task of controlling your leaf springs.  By clamping the front segment of the leaf springs, you are basically making that section a solid bar.  What are you running for leaf springs?  An upgrade might help as well.

Chryco Psycho

I 've added 1/2 leafs on te front & used square U bolts to clamp tem  tis will stiffen te front section of te sprins & work similar to a snubber

Racer57

Springs are new and for big block. However the shocks are questionable. Thanks !!   New shocks are next item to order.

Burdar

What brand springs?  Mopar HD's or ESPO or...

gzig5

Quote from: Racer57 on August 03, 2020, 11:40:35 AM
Springs are new and for big block. However the shocks are questionable. Thanks !!   New shocks are next item to order.
I ran across a set of lightly used single adjustment QA1 TS901 rear shocks on Craigslist, near Bloomington, IL.  I can send you a link if you can't find it. It's a too early in my project for me to commit to them or I would have snatched them up.

Racer57

Quote from: gzig5 on August 03, 2020, 12:18:41 PM
Quote from: Racer57 on August 03, 2020, 11:40:35 AM
I ran across a set of lightly used single adjustment QA1 TS901 rear shocks on Craigslist, near Bloomington, IL.  I can send you a link if you can't find it. It's a too early in my project for me to commit to them or I would have snatched them up.

PM sent
I looked that model up, and it shows that the shaft is exposed. Is that how their rear Cuda shocks are ?

Scooter

Hope not derailing... but does anyone know where to get this push through style pinion snubber rubber?

The only replacements I've been able to locate are for the dual slot type. I'd buy the whole assembly from Drdiff for $35 but he's OOS.

Thx
-scoot