Main Menu

Planning for my Warlock - Basic LA 408 Stroker

Started by GoodysGotaCuda, July 13, 2019, 05:00:36 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoodysGotaCuda

We are going to start tearing down my 1976 Warlock for some refreshing and I would like to poll those here familiar with stroking a 360.

General needs
Reusing - Performer RPM intake
Reusing - 2.02 valve Jheads, milled, stock ports, 63cc chambers
Keep - exhaust manifolds

Who's kit should I look at for the bottom end? Ring, bearing recommendations?

It's been 15 years since I've been in the bottom end of a small block, any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

1 Wild R/T

Leave your original 360 in the Warlock & build a roller block....  They are still common & cheap & a easy way to add a roller cam....

RUNCHARGER

I'd be tempted to find some 92 318 Magnum exhaust manifolds. And yeah, use a roller block.
Sheldon

jimynick

I'm kinda straddling both schools of thought. I got a roller Magnum block for the hydraulic Lunati roller cam and 4" crank, but am using LA style aluminum heads and an off-shore AirGap intake in the LA bolt pattern. It's headers all the way for me; that's if I EVER get my son's 347 Mustang out of my garage! Good luck with it!  :bigthumb:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

autoxcuda

Scat cast crank kit

9.0 to 9.5:1 compression

Something between a comp XE268 and XE275 with 110-112 centerline. Lunati has similar cam in that range.

If it's more of a tow and cruiser, steer toward the smaller cam.

Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: autoxcuda on July 13, 2019, 07:32:08 PM
Scat cast crank kit

Curious why you'd go with a cast crank kit?  I'd drop the extra $350 for a forged crank every time...

autoxcuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 13, 2019, 07:51:39 PM
Quote from: autoxcuda on July 13, 2019, 07:32:08 PM
Scat cast crank kit

Curious why you'd go with a cast crank kit?  I'd drop the extra $350 for a forged crank every time...

Scat cast cranks have fillet radius' that stock forged don't have. They are proven to 550 hp.

I don't think he's after anywhere near that HP.

If you do grow the shortblock over 550 hp, he'll have different heads, and different compression (pistons).

Good thing, if he really has 63 cc on those J-heads, that is what most the aftermarket heads all come in at. So possibly he could use that shortblock for bigger HP builds.

Depends on his budget and what realistically could happen in the future.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

GoodysGotaCuda

Thanks for the feedback, I'll check out the Scat kits.

The budget is pretty low for this one and so are the expectations, I'm not building a high horsepower/fast truck with this one. Just enough scoot to be entertaining, pull a trailer and get my wife into trouble [her truck].

I'd like to reuse the LA top end I have and make the best of it. I won't need any more than a cast crank for this one, the 'Cuda is a different story. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

RUNCHARGER

The plan is good for a truck. The lowend grunt will be a noticeable improvement.
Sheldon

bennydodge

Cast crank will be fine I think. I've been using a 4" mopar crank for 16 years with track use every year along with street abuse and cruising. Stock 340 cam is what I'd use with your setup-trouble free and proven.   
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

RUNCHARGER

Wasn't there an issue with one of the cast cranks breaking a few years ago? Maybe they were Eagle brand?
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 14, 2019, 09:21:54 AM
Wasn't there an issue with one of the cast cranks breaking a few years ago? Maybe they were Eagle brand?

That what I remember...  I thought it was whoever makes the Mopar cranks...

bennydodge

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 14, 2019, 09:38:11 AM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 14, 2019, 09:21:54 AM

That what I remember...  I thought it was whoever makes the Mopar cranks...
May very well have been. Buddy of mine has the same 4" cast crank as mine for ten years trouble free. Guess we just got lucky....No doubt, though, that forged is better.
1973 Challenger 340
2015 Challenger R/T classic B5, wife's car
2010 Dodge 3500 dually
2016 Hellcat Challenger Redline Red A8

RUNCHARGER

OP's application should be fine I'm sure though. Although you have to consider the cost of balancing vs. forged.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Back in the 2000-2005 time frame I saw postings of at least seven 408 cast cranks breaking... But since then I haven't heard of any more...
Was there a casting flaw? Was it an assembly error? As Steve mentioned the cast crank uses radiused fillets, if the builder used a standard radius bearing it could overload the crank... (assuming the crank would even rotate)
I guess I just prefer to trust a forging in spite of the casting likely being fine for the application...