Main Menu

Por15 on my aluminum heads ?

Started by Red70340Cuda, December 01, 2022, 08:53:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Red70340Cuda

I need all the help I can get! Lol    I have bought a set of aluminum heads an would like to paint them has any one had any luck with painting aluminum?   I am also wanting to paint the short block while still in the car .  Has anyone ever brushed on the por15 before an how did it turn out ?
Any tips for painting would be great thanks

Rich G.

I saw this POR 15 Chrysler blue engine enamel and gave it a try on the 73 I built. I sprayed it and it came out pretty good. Might not be the exact blue it's supposed to be but it looks good to me.

tparker

I've used por-15 black on several areas. I used it in areas that were covered up and hidden. I recall it being uneven and easy to get bubbles in it. I don't recall it laying down smooth. I think I used the sponge type brushes. I would buy a small can and test it first. You probably can get a layout if you spend time with it, I didn't. Spraying would probably work out fine.

You probably already know, but you have to top coat por-15 since it is light sensitive. They make a special top coat before you add a color coat. I think it is a kind of primer that goes over the POR-15.

70vert

I've had good luck with POR-15 in general, but I think POR sells an aluminum specific paint. Though not sure if it is also high temp. best to give them a call.

Filthy Filbert

Paint doesn't care about cast iron, steel, aluminum, plastic, etc.     so the material of the heads is irrelevant. 

What's important is the surface roughness.   As-cast? Anything will stick.   Smoothly machined surface? Nothing will stick

moparroy

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on December 01, 2022, 06:16:07 PM
Paint doesn't care about cast iron, steel, aluminum, plastic, etc.     so the material of the heads is irrelevant. 

Disagree. In my experience for example plastics and galvanized steel need special prep or paint. Galv may partly be an issue of surface but even textured plastic only plastic paint adheres well. No experience with aluminum.

Red70340Cuda

How have y'all made machined aluminum parts ready for paint?

70_440-6Cuda

I have had good luck with etching primer and paint on aluminum - painted my Harley engine and had no issues.  I did rough up lightly with a scotch brite.  If you are going for a more original look, I had a friend with a Cobra replica that roughed up his heads to have more of a cast look prior to paining - a lot of people didn't notice they were Edelbrock aluminum heads
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....