Main Menu

Roller camshaft manufacturer rec ?

Started by MRM82, December 15, 2022, 06:20:37 AM

Previous topic Next topic

MRM82

What companies would you guys recommend now a days for a roller camshaft and lifters, going into a LA roller block? Would like to stay USA made if possible. I didn't want to get into cam size on this question as that'll be a conversation for myself and the company, it'll be just a street driven 318. Thank you !

Brads70

I've  used custom hyd rollers from Bullet cams in the last 2 engines. One stop shopping , springs, locks, retainers, cam and lifters
https://www.bulletcams.com/

bdschnei

Hughes Engines. They'll set you up with the cam and lifters along with any other related valvetrain parts you might need (rockers, pushrods,...)
Ton of information on their website. Check that out before you make any decisions.
Bret

jimynick

On the advice of Chryco Psyco I called and spoke to Lunati. They specialize on cams using lobes designed to take advantage of the bigger Mopar lifter. I spec'd it with a long nose to drive the mechanical fuel pump I'm going to use. Don't forget that a Mopar roller block oils through the lifters like a Chev so that you've got the right lifters and push rods. Good luck with it!  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Filthy Filbert

He said he's using an LA block, not a Magnum block.   

usraptor

I agree with Brads70 and second Bullet cams.  They did a custom grind for my 440/512 stroker and it performs outstanding. 

jimynick

Quote from: Filthy Filbert on December 16, 2022, 10:15:55 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't aware that there were LA roller blocks that weren't Magnums.  :huh:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

crackedback

Quote from: jimynick on December 15, 2022, 06:44:22 PM
On the advice of Chryco Psyco I called and spoke to Lunati. They specialize on cams using lobes designed to take advantage of the bigger Mopar lifter. I spec'd it with a long nose to drive the mechanical fuel pump I'm going to use. Don't forget that a Mopar roller block oils through the lifters like a Chev so that you've got the right lifters and push rods. Good luck with it!  :cheers:

There are roller blocks that oil through the shaft.

Rollers tend to not be as particular regarding the "mopar" lifter diameter.   A larger wheel allows faster ramps, not really a big deal in these engines.   That's a more of a flat tappet deal taking advantage of the lifter diameter.

Duodec

Quote from: jimynick on December 17, 2022, 08:24:41 PM
Quote from: Filthy Filbert on December 16, 2022, 10:15:55 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I wasn't aware that there were LA roller blocks that weren't Magnums.  :huh:

Late '80s on LA engines had hydraulic roller cams phased in.  I had a 1990 W250 with the 360 engine, and it had a roller cam.

MRM82

Thanks for the feedback guys !  Yes it is a late 80s LA block that can utilize a roller cam.