Main Menu

Progress! - New Cam

Started by Cudajason, August 31, 2018, 10:14:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Chryco Psycho

As I told you a while back 2 cams with very similar specs can be very different as the spec only measures the cam @ 2 points on the lobe but doeesn't show the actual lobe profile so yes it is good to see the vacuum reading is good & steady , proper tuning will yield more results than you can imagine , I believe you will be truly amazed once you get it all sorted out  :twothumbsup:

Cudajason

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 27, 2019, 11:29:35 PM
As I told you a while back 2 cams with very similar specs can be very different as the spec only measures the cam @ 2 points on the lobe but doeesn't show the actual lobe profile so yes it is good to see the vacuum reading is good & steady , proper tuning will yield more results than you can imagine , I believe you will be truly amazed once you get it all sorted out  :twothumbsup:

Oh yeah I hear you.  I have read so much about the benefits of the lunati voodoo design and how it is different from most cams, so I am very excited to see what this cam will do.

I love to tinker with the carb and the tuning process, so I hope I am amazed in the end!!!

I have wanted to swap out the old cam for a few years now...the engine always worked ok, but not a lot of low end umph!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

RUNCHARGER

The Lunatis are the best I have found in that range too,
Sheldon

Cudajason

Got the old girl out of the garage and tuned up. 

Running 20 degrees initial and 34 total. That seems to be the best vacuum at idle under load.

If the weather holds off I will get her out for a road test.

Here is a video of it idling in drive.

To be honest I think I hear a tick...but I admit I am overly paranoid about this.

Jason

https://youtu.be/qj9EH1U6PrM
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

kawahonda

Sounds good. Curious, what was your vacuum before and after the cam?
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Cudajason

Quote from: kawahonda on June 02, 2019, 11:36:27 AM

I think the best I got before was 11 or 12. This cam, 20 while in Neutral and 15 when in drive.

On the up side, there seems to be lots of low end with this cam. Still need to dial in the carb, but even at half throttle from stop it spins the tires. Full throttle from idle, no bog, little spin seems to want to really go!

So that end I was happy.

Now I just need to fix they tapping lifter.

Jason

kawahonda

Quote from: Cudajason on June 02, 2019, 05:02:04 PM
Quote from: kawahonda on June 02, 2019, 11:36:27 AM

I think the best I got before was 11 or 12. This cam, 20 while in Neutral and 15 when in drive.

On the up side, there seems to be lots of low end with this cam. Still need to dial in the carb, but even at half throttle from stop it spins the tires. Full throttle from idle, no bog, little spin seems to want to really go!

So that end I was happy.

Now I just need to fix they tapping lifter.

Jason

Sounds odd....a more aggressive cam should not raise vacuum, but lower it...at least that's what I would expect.....11 is pretty bad for a "before"! I always measure my vacuum in park. I think "by the book" you should do it in "N".

Curious because i'm just wondering what's "normal" for a 340 stock cam. I get 16.5" of vacuum at 3,000 feet in PARK at 850 RPM. Sounds like a healthy engine to me, but I ain't no pro.

Chryco Psycho

I would not say it is a more aggressive cam but more a far better designed cam , thus better vacuum & low end response  :twothumbsup:

kawahonda

Sounds like I should get rid of the cam the same time I replace my intake! Curious to see our response @Chryco Psycho to my other threads....just put up a high temp thread.

Jason, I really hope things go well with your engine.

Cudajason

Quote from: Cudajason on June 02, 2019, 09:26:48 AM
Got the old girl out of the garage and tuned up. 

Running 20 degrees initial and 34 total. That seems to be the best vacuum at idle under load.

If the weather holds off I will get her out for a road test.

Here is a video of it idling in drive.

To be honest I think I hear a tick...but I admit I am overly paranoid about this.

Jason

https://youtu.be/qj9EH1U6PrM

I realized that I never came back an update this trhera.  SO for the purpsoes of some that may look at this in the future...here is a link to my thread on the results of the TICK I thought I heard!  Warning...its not good.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/ahhh-crap-bad-lifter/11551/

Jason