Main Menu

Quick NSS question

Started by Cudajason, October 18, 2020, 02:47:57 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Which pin / wire on the NSS is supposed to have power with the key on????
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Chryco Psycho

None
There are 2 wires black & Black with white tracer  for the reverse lights & the brown wire in the center , The brown wire is a ground circuit so when you turn the key it will send power to the yellow wire on the start solinoid , the other side of the relay grounds throught the brown wire to the NSS & to ground in the trans .

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 19, 2020, 09:24:21 PM
None
There are 2 wires black & Black with white tracer  for the reverse lights & the brown wire in the center , The brown wire is a ground circuit so when you turn the key it will send power to the yellow wire on the start solinoid , the other side of the relay grounds throught the brown wire to the NSS & to ground in the trans .

Yup... Grab power from the blue wire going to the Alternator/voltage regulator/carb solenoid & coil....  It the wire for the carb solenoid is present it's the perfect source..

anlauto

Doesn't one of the black wires have to have power for the reverse lights? I thought once the transmission is in reverse it completes the circuit sending the power to the reverse lights ? :huh:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

chargerdon

Quote from: anlauto on October 20, 2020, 05:11:21 AM
Doesn't one of the black wires have to have power for the reverse lights? I thought once the transmission is in reverse it completes the circuit sending the power to the reverse lights ? :huh:

That is correct, that circuit completes to send power to the reverse lights when in reverse.   The middle wire passes ground to the starter relay when in either park or neutral.     

Cudajason

Quote from: chargerdon on October 20, 2020, 05:37:15 AM
Quote from: anlauto on October 20, 2020, 05:11:21 AM

That is correct, that circuit completes to send power to the reverse lights when in reverse.   The middle wire passes ground to the starter relay when in either park or neutral.     

Thanks guys.  I guess I should have asked which wire on the NSS for the revers lights is supposed to have power?

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

Jason, with the key on the black wire should have power. If it doesn't, check the fuse .
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudajason

Quote from: anlauto on October 20, 2020, 06:01:47 AM
Jason, with the key on the black wire should have power. If it doesn't, check the fuse .

Thanks.  It does have power.  I for some reason thought the center wire carried the power and had taped into it to power my OD and LU solenoids.

Explains why there were not working.

Jason

Bullitt-

Look at the diagram just right of the rectangle labeled "Solenoid" .. Circle with three connections would be the NSS... Black wire feeds power to the switch & White wire sends power to the backup lights it appears to me.   

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1973/73BarracudaA.JPG
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

Cudajason

thanks guys.

I now have power going where I need it!

Jason