Rear end markings 1970 Cuda

Started by Ccuda, June 19, 2022, 05:52:28 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ccuda

Can Anybody explain these rear end markings. See pics attached
Thanks
Ccuda

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Ccuda

Allen, You know no one likes a smart ass! When I added the designations it was last year and I've forgotten what exactly they mean. You being an expert probably know well what they really mean. I think the "E" refers to the 391 rear which I have documented on the build sheet and the other refers to some other data with the Axle splines. I've restored many cars and was judge for the AACA /Corvette And many other organizations. I won't buy David W's book because there are many inconsistencies there with different Manufacturing plants around the country and with different shifts doing different processes, like stamping. I found even the experts will admit there not sure just what the hell went on. So for those expert Judges that think they know it all they can kiss my you know what. I've seen too many inconsistencies in my 74 years.
Ccuda

Bullitt-

I've never seen these markings....  Dug this up.... can't speak to the accuracy myself....

The D is D Series - 1968. They started using the body designation in 69 for B-Bodies "B". In 70 they used the body and/or the year series. On E-bodies I have both an E on some and an FE on others. I have a "G" on the back of a '71.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8dhh1ia4oku6qkvecme9e3c4l2&topic=55525.msg618669#msg618669
.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]       

anlauto

I'm sorry R = right side :rofl:

I always thought the E = was for E Body,  :dunno: but I could be wrong, I'm far from an expert when it comes to markings and I pity the fool who thinks they can decipher what was going through the minds of the guys assembling the rear axles back then...the different marks could be anything from the guys initial to day of the week....who knows...
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration