Main Menu

Rear main seal replacement question

Started by blown motor, June 17, 2022, 05:59:25 PM

Previous topic Next topic

jimynick

Using 600 will only put a nice sheen on that rust Murray. Go 120 and use a wee block to cut it off. That tube of black is going to get a workout with double gaskets and I'd go with Neil's advice about the Right Stuff. It isn't cheap, but then continually chasing oil leaks ain't too much fun either! Just my  :alan2cents:   :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

blown motor

@jimynick Are you saying to right stuff the pan gaskets?
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Chryco Psycho

The black permatex is not even close to the same as the Right Stuff sealer , yes I would use right stuff on the gaskets , all 4 sides .
I like the black gaskets Mopar used with the windage tray over cork but as long as you do not over torque the bolts corks will work fine , make sure the oil pan rail is as flat as possible also.

blown motor

So the two piece seal seals the crankshaft and the side seals seal between the carrier and block but what seals between the top ends of the carrier and the block? I feel I should put a little Right Stuff on there too.

Chryco Psycho

dodj

This might be a good idea?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2339

Just trying to help spend your money..... :drinkingbud:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

blown motor

Quote from: dodj on June 21, 2022, 04:50:55 AM
This might be a good idea?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2339

Just trying to help spend your money..... :drinkingbud:

Been down that road. I know some people like them but they haven't worked well for me.  :dunno:

blown motor

Well I put the new seal in this morning. I got one of the Mancini retainers that Alan suggested. I like it a lot better than the original. Time will tell how successful I was. I've never done this before so I'm a little nervous about the outcome.

Dakota

jimynick

Good for you matey!! Let's keep our fingers crossed, eh?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

anlauto

:bigthumb: guess you found your "special" socket  ;) :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

blown motor

I took the truck for a run today to see how my seal replacement job turned out. I just get inside the town limits and it stalls. I throw it into neutral and restart it. Hi a block and it stalls again. Does this two or three times. Then I get six or eight blocks out of it and it dies again. Finally get it restarted and it goes 20 feet and dies. So while I'm waiting for the flatbed to show up I crawl underneath and there's oil on the bell housing and dripping on the ground. WTF!!!  :angry: This truck has been a demon, I think it's possessed.