Main Menu

Rebuild a Power Steering Pump

Started by 71383bee, March 05, 2018, 06:59:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

71383bee

Hey gang,

I was wondering if anyone has rebuilt their own power Steering pump.  I've noticed mine leaking pretty badly out from the front shaft seal and am about to pull it and get a rebuilt one from the auto parts store, but wondered what is involved.  From looking at the lines and pump this weekend i feel fairly certain its never been out of the car and kind of would hate to bolt in a reman from a different year.  I know they made thousands of these pumps but its only original once.  In any case is be willing to try it myself and was wondering if anyone else has done it or could point me to a reliable rebuilder as time is not always my friend.

its for a 73 340.  Its the bigger federal pump with the cooler. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

headejm

I rebuilt my using a readily available, inexpensive rebuild kit. Look on YouTube for an instructional video. There are a few out there. Nothing really to worry about. Good luck!

Topcat

Saginaws are easy. They have a key way for the pulley.

Federals are a pressed on pulley and will require a press to put the pulley on.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: The pulley is the hardest part of the job.
Sheldon

7212Mopar

Most of the work will be cleaning the parts, prep and paint. Also be careful not to distort the roundness of the sheet metal stamp body.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

ZEN357

Why not see if your local auto parts store has one and see if they will core your old one.

72 Challenger

There used to be an old guy in my area that would rebuild them for next to nothing. Albeit he did not paint them and make them look nice.

If he could get away with charging ~100 bucks to do them, I can only guess the job was not too involved.

Worst case scenario, you can try it yourself and if the project goes sideways and you want to keep the core original, you can send it out to be rebuilt. Knowing that there is a safe fall back, I would go ahead with trying to rebuild it yourself.
Someday I will have a J0b.

MikeMikeMike

I did mine with a rebuild kit and it was fairly easy. I have a press though. Just take pictures of how it all went together before taking it apart.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II

71383bee

Thanks for the replies guys.

I went ahead and pulled the pump this last weekend.  I found that one of the mounting bolts was gone which likely contributed to the leaking.  I decided to just get it rebuilt anyways to be safe.  I found out that my local bumper to bumper can send in components to A1Cardone for individual rebuilding for us folks that want our originals back.  Only need to pay for shipping both ways plus the rebuild.  The build was 60 bucks plus freight both ways so i went for it.  I just dropped it this AM actually! 

From looking at the hoses and cooler they are factory with the original red spring clamps.  The hose was VERY hard and brittle which makes me think this thing was likely never out of the car since it left Chrysler. 

You guys are right on the pulley.  Had to rent a pulley puller to get it off.  A bit of a pain but i got it off. 

Which brings me to my next step.  The cooler.  Any advice for refinishing it?  I don't think i want to blast it with anything.  I was thinking of a good cleaning and rattle canning her in glossy black but am open to suggestions. 
73 Challenger Rallye - 340 4 speed - K6 w/ White Top
70 Challenger Convertible - 318 Auto - K5 w/ White Top

Topcat

My NOS Federal cooler wasn't painted.

Appeared like it was black anodized.
A greenish black hue.

MikeMikeMike

Yeah, I dunno if I'd blast that either. If it were me, I'd try a chemical paint stripper on a small spot and see how that does first. Or maybe a soda blasting real gentle. Those coolers don't come up for sale too often on ebay if you wreck yours. For $10 I'd probably use eastwood's radiator paint as its probably not as thick so it won't act as an insulator.
'71 Cuda Convertible 340
'71 International Harvester Scout II